Red Mallee Burl Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tseger

tseger

This is the first red mallee burl I have ever turned. Man, you gotta love those burls! This is on a blk ti cigar, ca finish.
Thanks for looking and as always any comments are welcome.
rmallee.jpg

rmallee_cu.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tseger

I've been working on my ca finish lately, but it's not consistent at all. One will turn out like this and the next one may or may not. Thanks for the nice comment.

tseger

That really is a sweet finish. Would you mind sharing a bit about your CA technique -- do you get this deep gloss with MM or via buffing?

Thanks, Steve

It was mm only, sanded while spinning, then stopped the lathe and sanded the length of the barrels on every grit. Hope this helps.

tseger

I'm curious on how you setup the lighting to show off the gloss! Excellent photo! Very nice pen too!

I used 2 softboxs set up at a 45 degree angle to the pen on either side. The one on the right is lower and closer to the pen for the main light, and the one on the left is higher and farther away and used as a fill light to help control heavy shadows. with the softboxes it is basicly like having the pen in photo tent. I'll try to get a photo of the setup, but it will be a couple of days before I can.

Thanks to all for the nice comments, coming from the group of artist we have here on the IAP, that really means something!

Top Bottom