Red Mallee Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnGreco

JohnGreco

I got a great section of Red Mallee Burl from 'woodlvr' here on IAP. Once I found some free time (does that exist?) I cut and stabilized a piece of it for this fountain pen. It really turned beautifully and has left me looking forward to working with this wood some more. Thanks for looking, C &C are welcome.

Edit- Forgot the picture LOL...coffee has not kicked in yet :p

Attachments

• Red Mallee Burl Fountain Pen.jpg
    Red Mallee Burl Fountain Pen.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

John,

Beautifull Pen just love that Red Mallee but I have never heard of infusing it with plastic ever before must be like turning rock, I have 500 Red Mallee blanks if I find imperfect I teach them to fly in the bin.

Anyway your pen is really neat the turning impeccable, presentation perfect alktogether an exciting pen.

For another site I went to my mates place a Burl Gatherer of Red and other Mallee Burls and attached a pic of the top layer in a box destined for overseas of Red Mallee 18 inch sticks for pool cues as well as some shorts, waxed all round to avoid gassing. Red Mallee is going out at a rate now and will be rare as in time sooner than later.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

JohnGreco

Thanks, Peter. It was pretty solid, the blank weighed around 5 ounces after I stabilized it. But I used a fresh edge on my carbide tool and it really turned quite easily. That's a beautiful batch of burl you posted there!

76winger

I've only turned brown so far but the red does actually look like it got a bolder appearance. Now there's something else for my supplies list!

Top Bottom