Red Jasper Tru-Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkeithrussell

jkeithrussell

Here is my first Tru-Stone pen. I would not have attempted to turn this material before I bought my Woodchuck. With the Woodchuck, it was a piece of cake. Good material to work with, but you have to guard against using too much polishing material.

Attachments

• IMG_1602[2].jpg
    IMG_1602[2].jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1603[2].jpg
    IMG_1603[2].jpg
    57 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

The surface is so smooth that the wax or polishing compound (or whatever you use) tends to clump up. It just takes a very tiny amount, and a lower lathe speed, to get a really high shine. If you use a lot of HUT, for example, at high speed, it grabs. For the next one that I turn, I'm going to use MM, then just Ren Wax at about 1200rpm.

jkeithrussell

That Trustone sure is sweet. I'm with Zach, what do you mean? The finish looks terrific.

Thanks. It looks good now, but I had to start over on the finish a couple of times. This is no knock on Tru-Stone, it's just a learning curve deal. Tru-Stone is a great product.

Wheaties

The surface is so smooth that the wax or polishing compound (or whatever you use) tends to clump up. It just takes a very tiny amount, and a lower lathe speed, to get a really high shine. If you use a lot of HUT, for example, at high speed, it grabs. For the next one that I turn, I'm going to use MM, then just Ren Wax at about 1200rpm.

Good to know. I have a few Tru-Stone blanks waiting to be turned. I might wait until my Woodchuck II arrives though after your comment. Should be in the mail today or tomorrow!!

jkeithrussell

Good to know. I have a few Tru-Stone blanks waiting to be turned. I might wait until my Woodchuck II arrives though after your comment. Should be in the mail today or tomorrow!!

Unless you have a good system for sharpening your tools, I recommend that you wait for the Woodchuck. I have been sharpening my tools on an abrasive system (Work Sharp), and I can't get them sharp enough to handle the harder materials. I haven't even looked at my roughing gouge since I got my Woodchuck. It is a fantastic tool.

Top Bottom