Red Heart and Orange Heart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Krash

Krash

Here's a little something I've been experimenting with. I attempted to apply a concept for correcting the offset inherit in this type of segmenting. I got close but it still isn't exact. I'll keep practicing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Good looking design concept.I cant tell if the spacers are thinner or thicker than your saw kerf,so I can't help there.I can see the tool marks from the saw in your glue lines,sand them some more and you'll be able to get a tighter glue joint.Having a metal inlay makes hiding glue lines very difficult.

Krash

Thanks for the comments Dale. I saw the same thing and was wondering if my bandsaw was getting dull or something. I haven't seen the saw marks before. I was hoping they wouldn't show up too much but I can see that they do. I may take a trip to the local wood store and see if I need a new saw blade.

Does anybody else know if the saw sharpness is the issue?

OZturner

Fantastic Concept, Kelly.
I tend to agree with Dale, I think it is in the difference between your saw Kerf, and the thickness of your metal insert.
Can you measure across your saw blade at the cutting edge that is the maximum tooth offset, then measure the thickness of your Insert.
I expect that this difference is main cause of the slight offset you are experiencing.
Also it will increase the Total difference with each additional subsequent cut made.
Please let us know of your measurements?

Great work,
Brian.

Krash

Fantastic Concept, Kelly.
I tend to agree with Dale, I think it is in the difference between your saw Kerf, and the thickness of your metal insert.
Can you measure across your saw blade at the cutting edge that is the maximum tooth offset, then measure the thickness of your Insert.
I expect that this difference is main cause of the slight offset you are experiencing.
Also it will increase the Total difference with each additional subsequent cut made.
Please let us know of your measurements?

Great work,
Brian.

I don't have the measurements but the saw kerf is definitely wider than my aluminum. This is a picture of the last one I did with out applying my correcting concept.

I'll post my idea to correct soon. It is a PDF that I have written up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 122
Top Bottom