Red Hat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
My wife has a friend who belongs to a group called the Red Hat Society.. don't ask me about all I know is they like the color red..LOL...
She asked me to make something special for her for Christmas... here it is... Big Leaf Maple Burl Double Twist Euro Pen and a Perfume Applicator... dyed with Chestnut Spirit Dye then buffed with some 0000 steel wool to remove some of the dye from parts of the burl... the picture unfortunately does not do it justice... it looks like red marble...
Finish is Cellulose Sanding Sealer, followed by CA sanded to 12000MM and then Trade Secret for Wood and Renaissance Wax... glistens like glass...
SWMBO is very happy, so therefore I am allowed to be very happy.. LOL

20041217195933_RedHat.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Good looking pair of pens.
I loive the finish!
Care to expound as to how you do the sanding sealer and CA?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
After the pens are dyed and dye has dried and been buffed with 0000 steel wool to remove some from the soft areas, I give it a coat of Chestnut Cellulose Sanding Sealer. This brand is recommended for the type of dye I am using.. I get both from CSU. After the sealer has dried, I buff again with the steel wool to smooth it and apply the CA finish... I use thick CA and smooth out the coats betwen applications... usually 2-3 applications of CA with a light spritz of accellerator on them... the last coat is sanded to 12000 MM and then I apply the TSW, buff that out on the lathe and then the Renaissance Wax...
I usually do not use sanding sealer, but this dye will run with just CA as a finish... found that out the hard way.. LOL.. the sanding sealer basically seals in the dye and protects it. There is still a very little bit of run with the CA, but a lot less than I got before and not enough to affect the finished look of the dying process.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
For those of you who are dying to know:
"The Red Hat Society began as a result of a few women deciding to greet middle age with verve, humor and elan. We believe silliness is the comedy relief of life, and since we are all in it together, we might as well join red-gloved hands and go for the gusto together. Underneath the frivolity, we share a bond of affection, forged by common life experiences and a genuine enthusiasm for wherever life takes us next."

Sue Ellen Cooper, Queen Mother

http://www.redhatsociety.com/Info/main.html

Fabulous pens, Tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom