"Red" Ebonite Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made this yesterday. Had the day off for my birthday:). It's a "red" ebonite from American Art Plastics. This has got to be the hardest pen for me to photograph. The ebonite although appearing "Cherry" Red on their site and in my pictures is actually a reddish coral. Each time I imported the picture into Adobe Bridge this is what came out. I tried adjusting the settings to the bring out the actual color and had a difficult time with the pictures turning out dark. Anyway, if you get the "Cherry Red" Ebonite from AAP ...it may photograph like this...but it's actually not this exact color. Starting to wonder if they had similar problems photographing it too. I'm going to post another picture which actually had to adjusted to try to accurately depict the color..and even that isn't really accurate.
Anyway, It's a "red" ebonite with a #6 Gilded Medium Bock nib. I normally make a sketch for a pen with dimensions. Yesterday..I just thought I would have fun and wing it..this is the result..lol..It looks like a cone head. Anyway, lol...hope you can tolerate it:rolleyes:. Thanks again for all the birthday wishes. The main thing is that I did what I love on my birthday. Regards, Doc :)

Edit: Ugh..Back to lathe..when I blew up picture..can see scratches on section.

Attachments

• _Red_ Ebonite Kitless.jpg
    _Red_ Ebonite Kitless.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 222
  • _Red_ Ebonite Kitless_1.jpg
    _Red_ Ebonite Kitless_1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 197
  • _Red_ Ebonite Kitless_2.jpg
    _Red_ Ebonite Kitless_2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

can ebonite be buffed? maybe that would get out the fine scratches.

maybe a white background would help with the photo?

wizard

can ebonite be buffed? maybe that would get out the fine scratches.

maybe a white background would help with the photo?

Shawn, It can be and I did but I think I forgot to cross sand the section..and the scratches are deeper. I think the white background is a great idea...will try it and repost pictures !! Thank you !! There must be something my camera self adjusts when on a black background or auto processes when imported from camera to Adobe Bridge. May not occur with white background.
Regards, Doc:)

Robert111

Beautiful pen, again, Doc. I'm kind of eager to see a picture with a white background. I like the color, as unrealistic as it may be. I have some bright red acrylic or poly--can't remember which--that I'm kind of interested in trying. As usual, you're an inspiration!:highfive:

Brooks803

Looks great Doc! I'm really curious to see more about the red ebonite. I've been looking for some and was just about to buy this very item but I think I'll wait to see the "real" color is. Coral red isn't quite the color I'm looking for.

bitshird

Great pen Doc. Just remember as Baldar said consume mass quantities. and keep making those great pens, besides I rather enjoyed the Coneheads <LOL>

76winger

Doc, my Nikon D40 was doing the same thing to reds for my photos and I finally discover I had the "Optimize Image" setting set to "Vivid". This is good for nature and family shots, to give them a more lively color, but wasn't producing photos of my pens as accurately as I wanted. I set it to "normal" and the pen colors (especially reds) are much closer to how I actually see them.

I don't know what kind of a camera you have, but you might look for a similar setting on it.

Top Bottom