red dyed soft maple burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

Tried some dye to add color to the soft maple burl. Used a crimson red liquid dye from Dr. Martens at the Dick Blick Store. Added 2 coats oil/poly gloss clear coat with a coat of bees wax

Image Insert:
2004102322050_reddye.jpg

88.15KB

wayneis

Nice job, I've seen some pretty cool [8D] things doone with Spitit Stain from CSUSA on a light color curly wood like maple. Spitit stains dry very rapidly so you can use multiple colors, blending one into another. CSUSA has a sample kit with five 1 oz. bottles for $8.99[;)] If you were only doing pens, you can get a whole lot of pens done with a little 1 oz. bottle.

Wayne

Scott

Richard - I like the nice intense color you got with that dye! What a pretty pen! How much is that dye?

Wayne - I bought that sample pack of spirit stains from CSUSA. They are very nice, but I just do not get the intense color from it that I wanted. I will admit that some of the pastel colors I've acheived have been very nice, though! But that's why I have been experinenting with the colored sharpies lately - intense colors. The first pen I made using them has not faded at all, and I seem to be able to blend one color into the next pretty easily. I just overlap the two colors, and then rub them in with a paper towel that has a drop of alcohol on it.

I like using colors on pens, but my Wife doesn't care for it. So understand that colors are very much a personal taste kind of thing!

Scott.

its_virgil

I have been dying some pens made from fiddleback and BE maple using aniline dye and they are turning out nicely. The aniline dye is pricey, so I may try some of the spirit dye. Anyone know the difference?
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Scott
<br />Richard - I like the nice intense color you got with that dye! What a pretty pen! How much is that dye?

Wayne - I bought that sample pack of spirit stains from CSUSA. They are very nice, but I just do not get the intense color from it that I wanted. I will admit that some of the pastel colors I've acheived have been very nice, though! But that's why I have been experinenting with the colored sharpies lately - intense colors. The first pen I made using them has not faded at all, and I seem to be able to blend one color into the next pretty easily. I just overlap the two colors, and then rub them in with a paper towel that has a drop of alcohol on it.

I like using colors on pens, but my Wife doesn't care for it. So understand that colors are very much a personal taste kind of thing!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom