The Red Dragon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mickey

Mickey

This is a Lotus fountain pen done in Ruby Swirl Bakelite from Exoticblanks. I found it easy enough to work with but boy look out for those fumes when you turn or drill the stuff. It will clear out your sinuses and melt the hairs in your nose. I normally do not use a vacuum cleaner to pick up the shavings until after I get finished but I went running for one when I started working with this Bakelite. It was a crying shame how much waste there is when you have to buy a 1 1/4" rod. It does give a beautiful finish and has a very nice look and feel to it. It's a shame it's not made any more. Thanks also to John (Wild Turkey) for the Lotus components.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mickey

You're right John. I thought about using white but I wanted it to finish with a darker red color and I was afraid the white might lighten it up too much. Then again it might have given it a brighter red look.

mrburls

Beautiful bakelite pen Mickey. Painting tube and inside of blank red was a good choice, sometimes I find when painting that red bakelite white inside the blank when turning down to bushing size the ends of barrel can be a lighter shade of red and is noticable.
Did I tell you that is a great looking pen :)

Keith "mrburls"

Top Bottom