Red crushed velvet kitless FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is a kitless FP made from a Red crushed velvet blank and Brass . I used a Baron feed and holder with a brass front section and one of Lou's Steel flex nibs . The center band is a piece of a Majestic upper brass tube .
This is a slender pen measuring just over 1/2" thick . My wife says it looks like a long lipstick so we started calling this the lipstick pen .
I love these crushed velvet blanks , they look kind of like an acrylic burl . I just wish they were bigger , they are only a little over 5/8" square .

1_redvelvetfp2.jpg
1_redvelvetfp1.jpg

As always comments are welcome .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Butch, you've peaked man. Quit now while you're ahead! Seriously that is a very nice pen. Well done. My only comment would be to make the center band thinner. Love the clip.

PaulDoug

Another beautiful pen, Butch. I agree with Keith, a thinner center band would look a little better. Just a suggest from one who can't do what you do so take it for what it is worth.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
crushed velvet

Where would one find crushed velvet these days??

Crushed velvet was made in Great Britain and came only in 15-16mm sheets. The plant that made the product has closed. There is a plant in Italy that is making an acrylic they claim is almost exactly the same. My source in Europe is sending samples, which I will share with the forum when they arrive.

This pen was made from stock I had purchased years ago. I sold it, cause I didn't want to make small pens. IF I could have used it like Butch, I would have KEPT IT!!!!

BEAUTIFUL job!!!!

MURPHY101

Hi Butch greta pen looks fantastic and you may be able to answer a question for me.What method do you use to drill the blanks as i have had a couple of acrylester blanks shatter on me recently
Murphy101 Ireland

nava1uni

I am always astonished to see your work. It always makes me think differently about what I am doing and how one would accomplish what you do. This pen is beautiful, the blank has a nice textural sense to it with multi dimensions. I like the band as it is presently and it all flows well. Thanks for sharing it.:wink:

ldb2000

Gee everyone I'm blushing :embarrassed: , thanks for all the kind words . This pen is gone :crying: The LOML took one look at it and she won't give it back , and it's not even purple !!!
I had gotten some of the bronze crushed velvet blanks from CSUSA and made some comfort pens and everyone sold before I was even able to get pictures . Since then I have been searching for these crushed velvet blanks for almost a year Then I found them on the PR Princess's website (you know the address right ? www.exoticblanks.com) Dawn and Ed are the greatest people to deal with , real fast shipping and great prices . Sorry to say I bought most of the stock they had and would have bought it all if I had more money .

Keith and Paul ,
I made the CB wide to help with the lines of the pen , because these blanks are so thin (turned round they are only a hair over 5/8" and after final sanding the pen is just a little over 1/2" thick) I wanted to give the overall pen a little bit larger look and I think the wider CB does that .

Murphy ,
I do almost all of my drilling on the lathe . These blanks are just as brittle as some of the acrylester blanks I have worked with so I just took it slow and cleared the bit often and drilled at 1700 rpm (slower would have been safer but I'm too lazy to change the belt over) , if you take it easy and don't rush it they drill nice . It also helps if you don't drill all the way through the blank , drill just past the length of your tube and cut the excess off at the saw .

I wish I could take credit for the clip but I got the idea from Skiprat and some of the photos at the PMG gallery . It's a nice simple but very elegant design that is easy to do and very strong .

Ed PLEASE!!! let me know when the new stuff shows up , if it looks as good as these blanks I will be standing in line waiting .

This pen is a tribute to the IAP . I never could have done it with out all of the things I have learned from my extended family here on these forums .
Thank you all .

Now I'm off to make a pen from the freebie Metallic Purple blank I got from Dawn and Ed . I'm hoping that I can distract my wife long enough to get my pen back . Wish me luck :biggrin:

Top Bottom