Red Corn Cob Sierra Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Don_Hart

Don_Hart

Here is the most recent Corn Cob pen from the shop. It is a gold Sierra click pen. I dyed the cob red with transtint alcohol based dye.

pen634.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don_Hart

Hi Mudder :D Thanks everyone.

I bought only one stabilized cob blank. I found the dye penetration pretty poor as well. Since then I just dye dried cobs from local farmers. I can get a box of dried cob for the cost of a single stabilized one.

The dye job is the result of a little experimentation. I do a several of the cobs at a time. I put two of the cobs in a snack sized ziplock bag and soak them in dye adding enough so that there is a couple of ounces in the bottom of the bag. I them seal up the bag and let it set until I am ready to use it (Usually a couple of days). I then soak the cobs in CA glue. After I get it turned down close the final shape I give it another wash of dye.

I have been thinking of trying dying them in my casting pot to see if I can get any better penetration.

BigRob777

Wow, I've been away too long. I've never seen a sierra click pen. Nice work on this one. I have a bunch of cobs that a friend stabilized for me two years ago and I haven't tried one yet.
Rob

Top Bottom