red bud european

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

Log at 1:00 PM, pen at 8:00PM. Cut from the log this afternoon and then into blanks. Cut the blank sections to length and gave it 5, 45 second sessions in the microwave at 100%. Thought maybe that would be too aggresive, but turned like a dream. Sorry, I can't show the iridescence!:) I've never turned this stuff, but I think I'll go back tomorrow and get some more! Michael and RT, you gonna like this a lot!!

2004121321855_red_bud_pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I had a redbud tree where i lived last year and the besides having gorgeous grain, there were reddish/pinkish streaks in the wood. Does yours have the reddish streaks?
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by low_48
<br />Log at 1:00 PM, pen at 8:00PM. Cut from the log this afternoon and then into blanks. Cut the blank sections to length and gave it 5, 45 second sessions in the microwave at 100%. Thought maybe that would be too aggresive, but turned like a dream. Sorry, I can't show the iridescence![:)] I've never turned this stuff, but I think I'll go back tomorrow and get some more! Michael and RT, you gonna like this a lot!!

2004121321855_red_bud_pen.jpg
<br />

bajacrazy

Great looking pen, good looking grain.

This might be a stupid question and I think I already have the answer for it, but I will ask anyway. The microwave thing, was this to dry wood? If so, where did you ever come up with this great idea and is there any rule of thumb on doing this?

I can’t tell you how many times I’ll be walking in the wood and think to myself, if I only had a Kiln.

low_48

Wood turners have been using the microwave for a long time. I think there have been attempts at commercial drying kilns that use microwaves. It is so much better than convential heat for quick drying small parts because the water is what gets heated, not the wood. The wood gets hot, but it's because the water is turning to steam. There are no rules that I am aware of. Some turners will only use the defrost cycle, I use the high setting. I run in short blasts, like 30 to 45 seconds. Open the door, and wait till the wood is cool to the touch before running another cycle. When the sizzling starts to slow, I weigh the blanks on a diet scale after each cycle. When it doesn't weigh any less after a cycle, you're done. Go too far and the wood will start to burn from the inside out. Guess how I found that out!

It's only good for small parts or small bowls. It sure gets the results quick when you find something special and just can't wait to turn.

Rich

WoodChucker

Rich, those look great and can't wait to get mine. Also, I got the Fiddle back maple blanks I ordered from you today, those are very nice too. Thanks!

R.T.

bajacrazy

Rich,

Thanks for this information; this is very interesting to me. One more question. Did you cut these into pen blank size before you microwave them or after? I’m just wondering if you have any shrinking, cracking, or twisting that wood should be larger and cut after process.

Brian

low_48

Brian,
I had cut them to 7/8 x 7/8 square and 3/16 longer than whatever brass tube you are using. These blanks actually came out a little hour glass shaped. They maybe were distorted a light 1/8" in some places. Some speicies like ash, catalpa, red oak, will hardly distort at all. They give up their water real easily. Fruit woods might expode if you go too fast with them. I also had some blead out and lost a little color. I had them sitting on a paper towel and it had some really dark spots where the blank was sitting. (Strong hint; don't use any of the wifes dishes or let it sit on the microwave surface. Unless of course you want the microwave in the shop and she gets a new one in the kitchen!!!!!) The section with the knots had a hair line crack in each tiny knot. At finish size on the lathe I filled the crack with carpenter's glue and sanded with 220. The saw dust and glue mix and fill the crack very nicely.

Don't start with the fancy stuff. Use some sections of tree branch cut to size, or better yet, some of your neighbors branches, to test your microwave techniques.

Rich

bajacrazy

Rich,
Thanks for all your detailed information on this subject, can’t wait to get started. The only problem I’m going to have is my wife. Probably a good idea just to buy her a new microwave before hand, Christmas is almost here. I did some thermoforming with Corian in my oven a few years back before buying a commercial strip oven. This experience did cost me a new oven, and a very [:(!] wife. It really didn’t do much to the oven except to make the oven and surroundings momentary smell. She just wanted a new stove. Sounds like this sort of thing has happened to you before.[:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom