Red and Black Ebonite Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it over the course of a few AM's and just finished it this morning/afternoon:rolleyes:. It's made out of Red and Black Ebonite and has a #5 Fine Bock nib. Just like smaller nibs... but in retrospect.... wish I would have gone with a #6 nib. It was hard to photograph and bring out the red striations in the ebonite. Anyway..still have a lot to learn.... Almost screwed up the section :eek:...so I texted my Sensei and got back on track..Thanks Justin!!:). Hope you like it. Doc :)

Attachments

• Red and Black Ebonite Kitless_2.jpg
    Red and Black Ebonite Kitless_2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 277
  • Red and Black Ebonite Kitless_1.jpg
    Red and Black Ebonite Kitless_1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Red and Black Ebonite Kitless.jpg
    Red and Black Ebonite Kitless.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Red and Black Ebonite Kitless_3.jpg
    Red and Black Ebonite Kitless_3.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

This is my new favorite pen Doc! There's just something about it that's so regal

Timebandit

Well done Grasshopper!!!!Looks like your best yet......Very proud sensei here.....im glad we could get you back on track.......now if we can just get you doing things forward rather than in reverse :)

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Beautiful, Doc!!! I agree with Jason , excellent job of threading. What size taps did you use for section to bbl and cap to section? If you don't mind me asking. Those are really nice! AND you had to get the jump on me on the clip, didn't you!!:rolleyes: :biggrin: joe

bitshird

Beautiful pen Doc. I really like the red stripe or Cumberland Ebonite, this red stripe actually looks better than the Cumberland rod.
And what a beautiful job of threading the section, I still haven't had the stones to try and do one yet.

IPD_Mr

Doc it looks really good. Personal preference here and not picking at all, but I am not sure I like the distance of the cap finial. I think I would shorten the distance from the top of the clip to the top of the cap. The way you have it makes it look extra long when I am sure it is not any longer than any other standard pen. I think your section and the threading look just fine.

OKLAHOMAN

Doc, this one is my favorite of yours so far, someone else used the word Regal ,that describes it perfectly.

wizard

This is my new favorite pen Doc! There's just something about it that's so regal

Tim, Thanks !!! Not as regal as those scalloped Majestics :wink:. Doc

That sure is a beauty. I hope to get to kit-less sometime but I don't know if I have the patients to make a pen over several days.

Brian, Thank you ! You will really enjoy doing kitless work and I'm sure you will be faster at it than me. I'm really slow at making these...they go much faster if you actually know what you are doing:rolleyes:. Just kidding... Doc

That is gorgeous Doc. I love the shape and the threads are super clean.

Thanks Jason !!

Beautiful!!!

Thanks!!

Well done Grasshopper!!!!Looks like your best yet......Very proud sensei here.....im glad we could get you back on track.......now if we can just get you doing things forward rather than in reverse :)

Justin, Thank you so very much for imparting the gift of knowledge which allowed me to make this !!!
Could not have done this without you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):) Doc

Nicely done, Doc!

Thanks Andy!!

Wow, I love the lines and the threads are super! Great work.

Hans, Thank you!! Doc

wizard

Beautiful, Doc!!! I agree with Jason , excellent job of threading. What size taps did you use for section to bbl and cap to section? If you don't mind me asking. Those are really nice! AND you had to get the jump on me on the clip, didn't you!!:rolleyes: :biggrin: joe

Thanks Joe !! I used the 14 MM triple start set (tap and die) for tapping threads on the inside of the cap and threading the outer body. I used a 10 mm tap and die to cut the threads on the inside of the body for the section whose threads I cut with the 10 MM die. Regards, Doc

Great minds think alike, Doc. See "Wizard Redux!"
Doug

Thanks Doug !! Will check it out! Doc

Really awesome!! you got game here.

Thank you !!

wizard

That is an awesome pen! I still have a piece of the red black ebonite waiting to become a kitless pen.

Thanks Steve!!

Really nice work doc. That is a fabulous pen. Looks like you are well on your way.

Rich, Thank you!!

Beautiful pen Doc. I really like the red stripe or Cumberland Ebonite, this red stripe actually looks better than the Cumberland rod.
And what a beautiful job of threading the section, I still haven't had the stones to try and do one yet.

Ken, Thank you!! red and black...that's my favorite color of ebonite !!

Wow, that is one sweet looking pen. Can not wait to see the next one Doc.

Gary, Thank you !!

Awesome Doc! LOVE the sleek look and clean lines.

Thanks Jonathan!

Very clean lines and a great looking pen.

Thank you !!!

Doc it looks really good. Personal preference here and not picking at all, but I am not sure I like the distance of the cap finial. I think I would shorten the distance from the top of the clip to the top of the cap. The way you have it makes it look extra long when I am sure it is not any longer than any other standard pen. I think your section and the threading look just fine.

Mike, Thanks for the input. As a matter of personal preference, I like it as is. It is actually as long as it looks! Doc

Doc, this one is my favorite of yours so far, someone else used the word Regal ,that describes it perfectly.

Thanks Roy!

Nice pen.
Scott

Thanks Scott!

wizard

Mike, This picture below may give you an idea of the size of the pen and the reason I picked the proportions and distances. I centered the clip so it would sit right between the top of the finial and bottom edge of the cap. It is a larger pen and in the picture I compared with two pens from my collection. It's a Pelikan on the right and a Bexley on the left.
Regards, Doc:)

Attachments

• Red and Black Ebonite Kitless Comparison.jpg
    Red and Black Ebonite Kitless Comparison.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom