Red Birch Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jrc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrc

This wood was trimed from wood to make flooring. Some of the nicest I've seen and I have a good contact for it and other local woods.

Hay Jim I've sold a bunch of pens to a lady from where you live.

jrc

Thanks, I just put together a stand with lights to take photos. My camera is about 2 1/2 years and I guess it's takes OK photos. A stand makes it quick to setup and maybe I can get more photos of this beautiful wood I collect. This wood is spalted yellow birch.

2005324195045_Spalted-Yellow-Birch.jpg
<br />

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Well done Jim, great photos also... I have to agree, finally making a photo booth has done wonders for my presentations also... My only problem is having to clear time with my wife so I can set if up in the kitchen... I can barely move around in the shop now, much less set up the photo booth... LOL

JimGo

I agree with the comments above; great pics, and great job with the pens! The Lilac is REALLY neat! Now you'll just have to come down to VA when you deliver your pen so you can meet me, Lou (DCBluesman), Chris (sorry Chris, can't remember your name on here!), and MDWine! :)

jrc

Thanks guys, that a real complement coming from penmakers like you. The lilac is about 1/3 of my sales durning the summer and Christmas sales. When I do orders of a dozen or more for stores and non-profit groups I do a mix of woods and styles of pens like these pens. Customers love it and always tell me that everyone can have a different pen and the size they like most. My only problem I pick out the best wood first and can never get a photo of them before there gone.

jrc

It's so interesting when drilling the blanks, half is heart wood that is darker in color and sometimes has some purple in it and the outside is white sapwood. Some I drill with more sapwood and some with more heartwood. You can see purple in the blank but when your finished sometimes the color is not there. Lilac is sometimes a hit or miss for the color. The purple does not grow in the wood every year, so purple is in layers of the heartwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom