Recycled Gym Floorboards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikebpeters

mikebpeters

OK, I'll admit I was more than a bit nervous about this one. A customer brought in some old gym floor board bits that he had salvaged from his old high school gym that he had spent a ton of time in growing up.

His commission was to me was to make him a shaver set, and if there was any wood left over, he wanted a pen/pencil set for each of his parents.

He told me that I had full artistic lisence to do whatever I wanted . . . gulp!

The backs of the boards had "made in Canada" alternating with "made in the Maritimes" stamped in them, but poorly. I started by salvaging the best stamped piece and put some black die on it, then sanded back the piece as much as I dared so as to highlight the stamp without removing it.

I then used a few more of the scraps to fill in either side of the handle and I put a piece on the end that would show the original varnished floor surface. Because I had to use the whole "made in the maritimes" piece it pushed the entire brush to be about 50% longer than most brushes so I had to lengthen the stand height as well.

The stand and razor handle I used back-to-back pieces of varnished floor so that the floor surface would show on both sides.

I used silvertip badger for the brush and a fusion head on the razor.

I didn't have enough wood left to go back-to-back for the pen/pencil sets so I just made FAT slimlines with floor surface showing on one side only.

bottom line - every step of the way something went wrong and I had to redo or rethink almost everything. I also made some rookie mistakes that I won't admit to the details of that also forced a bit of rework, but in the end the customer was utterly delighted so that is all that counts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I like the fact that you saw an opportunity and thought outside the box. Noticed lettering and kept it as part of the pen. Very nice job and artistry.

OZturner

Excellent Work,
I love using significant wood,
Making features of the Stamp, and Old Surface was very clever.
Normally I shrink from Fat Slimlines, but fully understand and appreciate your reason,
Great Fit and Presentation.
Congratulations.
Brian.

Top Bottom