Reclaimed Sycamore Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gagler

Gagler

My neighbor down the street has a pretty neat job - among other things, he goes across the country and buys reclaimed wood for the higher-end projects. Things like wood that has been submerged for 150 or so years in rivers, fully intact trees at the bottom of the lakes that were impounded in the 30's, really old growth stuff.

He was nice enough to stop by Friday night with a nice chunk of wood (10" x 8" x 5") for me. He guesstimated the tree submerged in a river in the 1850's (he told me the name of the river but I can't remember it at the moment to save my life), and his company pulled it out of said river this past spring. He believes it to be sycamore, and I counted 90+ growth rings.

I peeled off about 1" of the 10" side to cut a few pen blanks, and turned one today to give him as a "thank you." It doesn't have the bling and flair of some pens, but I always like the story behind the wood - holding it in your hand, wondering who cut it generations ago, where it has been, etc.

Comments, etc. appreciated!

Attachments

• recsyc1nov2008.JPG
    recsyc1nov2008.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 206
  • recsyc2nov2008.JPG
    recsyc2nov2008.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gagler

Thanks for the comments. The reclaimed slabs this came from ended up in a new library in Austin, TX that recently opened (don't know which one).

My neighbor did the appropriate gushing over it, etc. He liked it so much, I've received my first third-party commission in this pen turning addiction: he has ordered three with this wood for the clients / architects who took the original reclaimed slabs. Woo hoo! My wife will be thrilled to know it's not just outflow....guess I'll have to buy more pen kits with the proceeds.

Top Bottom