Reclaimed broomhandle pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ingo Schwartz

Ingo Schwartz

I found this broomhandle at work and I stole it, thought it would make a good base for some experimental pen finishing, painting it with automotive airbrush paint.

I know it's not for everyone but I like it more and more as the days go by and I use it more.

It's about having fun anyway right ?

Anyways here's a photo and a video on this pen :)

P.S

I know my tools need sharpening, fixing that tomorrow :)

12507631_649030088573264_3974862303348901331_n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHHq_b6DCnM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Ingo.

I was intrigued by your paint/finish, so I watched the video. Very interesting, and I like the results.

The color patterns are appealing.

(I also have made use of broomstick handles for pen blanks and jigs. $1.00 for 3-4 feet at a dollar store...) :tongue:

Ingo Schwartz

Thanks guys!

The paint is waterbased automotive airbrush paint :)

My friend just got me 4 half broomstick handles that he found in the trash! good stuff and it's freeeeee :biggrin:

Ingo Schwartz

I like the affect you got with the paint! Nice video too for anyone learning to do a CA finish!

Like with everything experimentation takes failure to succeed, the first one came out great but the second one (next friday's video) came out wrong during the CA application due to the paint, too much paint in a few spots and a pattern that does not quite work, makes the pen basically worthless but since it's not to sell I'm fine with it. Important to make mistakes too :)

Curly

Nice looking results.

I'm surprised that nobody has said by now that they can't get ahold of a broom handle because their wife is out flying it. :)
I know, I'm going to get hit by one. ;)

efrulla

Not every pen needs to be made from exotic wood or grained wood. I like what you did here. My wife's favorite pen is the first Slimline I ever made and I used an old chunk of 2x4 for the blank because I was learning. Did not even dye it or color it just left it plain and put a CA finish on it. We call it Pen 1 and it is her daily writer flaws and all and the more I look at it, the more I like the way the wood looks.

Ingo Schwartz

Thanks efrulla :)

My third pen from this broomhandle was all over the place, started by trying to do a nice pattern on it but failed, then tried to make a more complex pattern similar to my first pen but not as tight and failed, the result was surprisingly nice, I think this might actually be my favorite pen to date :)

I have 1 blank left from this broomhandle and I have a bit of a crazy idea for it but it'll have to wait a bit as I'm moving and trying to set up a new temporary shop :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BK3XpWYgdA

Top Bottom