recent request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

I had a request for a pen with these requirements: ballpoint; large pen; twist, not click; rifle bullet and shell case section on the end; antler lower barrel; copperhead skin upper barrel; gold plating. Here is what I came up with. Not sure I really like it but the customer does and he was in on the details from the start. He is pleased and the pen goes out tomorrow.

Thanks Seamus! I had no copperhead skin but i knew Seamus did and he graciously made me the blank for the upper barrel. He also powdercoated the bullet/shell case section while he was doing some for himself ( and had my powdercoater borrowed:biggrin:) Thanks again.

I know the antler is larger than the shell case where they meet but we needed to keep the pen as large as we could and decided to stop there and round over the sharp corner down to the shell case.

Comments welcome: good, bad, or indifferent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 403
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd say you did a GREAT job of integrating all the elements and making them look like they belong together!!

It's always a mixed blessing when the customer KNOWS what he wants. YOU don't have to dream up the elements, but then there is no guarantee you will LIKE the result--as long as HE does=---FAN---TASTIC!!!!

mrcook4570

Nicely executed! I think it would be very tough to make all three elements flow together. But in the end, it is the customer that matters. So it is definitely a fantastic pen!

plantman

:eek::eek: Don: I have done a lot of snakes from all over the world, but this one has the best colors I have ever seen!! Nice work. Jim S

its_virgil

No clip on the pen when it ships. I just wanted the clip in the picture. The skin turned out really nice because you cast it for me. I owe you one.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don very well done! I guess the customer decided on having the clip after all?! I cant get over how well that skin turned out!

its_virgil

Thanks Stan. I had a fun time putting all of the elements together.

Yes Jim, the skin has nice colors and Seamus did a great job with it.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sataro

Don, that is one fantastic looking pen. It is amazing how you blended all of the elements together. That antler being slightly larger & turned down to meet the shell casing looks good like that.

its_virgil

Boxerman: That is the first copperhead I've used and it will not be the last. The skins are just not as easy to obtain as rattlesnake skins.

Max: Thanks for the segmenting compliment. That was the one part of the pen that I was concerned about: how to join the shell case to the antler and keep the lowe barrel as large as possible.

Billy: Thanks! I was a bit concerned about how all of the "requirements" would blend together and it worked out pretty well.

Chuck: Even if I am not a fan of the pen the customer like it and I'm happy.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don Ward aka its_virgil
Wichita Falls, Texas
www.RedRiverPens.com
www.RedRiverPens.com/articles (pen stuff I've written)

its_virgil

Thanks Darrell...it is an interesting pen and I had fun figuring it out and putting all of the requirements into one pen. I really wanted to use the entire shell case/bullet on the lower barrell but he was no on board with that. Anyway, it was fun and I appreciate all of the nice comments.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don ...a very interesting pen and well crafted. i'm sure your customer will get lots of positive comments as he shows it around. Darrell

plano_harry

Looks great! With you and Seamus colaborating, it would be hard to turn out less than great.

Structurally, how did you join the antler and shell?

Harry

OKLAHOMAN

Don, as has been said it matters not what we like only what makes the customer happy, nice job on doing the customers request,,,

its_virgil

Thanks Harry. I actrually did some measuring on another cigar pen to get the total length from end the upper barrel to the end of the "nib". Actually, I measured from the end of the coupler where the transmission screws on to the end of the "nib". I then removed antler and a little of the tube until the shell case/bullet assembly placed onto the exposed tube was the same length as I measured on the normal cigar. The cigar tube was just a little smaller than the shell case so I coated the tube with two part expoy, let it totally cure then used a parting tool to remove the epoxy until the fit was good. After getting the antler shaped the way I wanted it I glued the shell case assembly in place. NOTE: press in the transmission coupler before gluing the shell case in place. We can visit on the 4th if you want.

I will answer your PM later this evening.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Looks great! With you and Seamus colaborating, it would be hard to turn out less than great.

Structurally, how did you join the antler and shell?

Harry

its_virgil

Bruce: I've not made anything out of the ordinary lately...just normal pens so I didn't want to bore people with normal every day pens. I enjoyed this pen quite a lot. Thanks Bruce.

Roy: Thanks and yes, the customer is my boss when I am making a special order pen. I think we both understand that!

Do a good turn daily!
Don

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well, I am amazed at how your customer's order . . . let me just say . . . his request had my head spinning! You did a magnificent job there! And as Ed said, you did a great job "of making them look like they belong together."

Top Bottom