Recent pens and knives

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Travis Fry

Travis Fry

This is a little bit of what I've been working on the last month or so. And the best part-- I sold all 4 knives, the bolt action, and the Atrax with the antler cap last night for about $1200 net of shipping. Time for a happy dance!
:bananen_smilies051:
knives-and-pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Are you bangin' your own steel blanks, or getting premade metal?
That all black pen is really unique, hard to get the finish 'just right'....but when you get it-WOW!!!

Scott (knives are fun) B

Travis Fry

Thanks folks! NeededWill, no lathes involved in these, though I do have plans for a dagger or two that will have turned handles, which I then will cut flutes in by hand and wrap with wire. Should be cool, and it's on of the reasons I got into pens. Mr. Lion, I get a lot of my handle materials from the same places turners do. There are also 3-4 knifemaking supply companies (USA Knifemaker, Jantz, etc) that I do business with for specific things like steel, grinder belts, and the like.

SDB, I make my own blades. Some start with a bar of a given thickness, from which I bandsaw and grind the profile, grind the bevels, etc. Others start with a bar or rod (or, in the case of pattern welded steel, a whole bunch of little bars squished together and restacked repeatedly), which is then hot forged into a knife. After profile and bevels are done on either type, I heat treat the blade according to the specific requirements of whatever steel I'm using in a digintally controlled kiln. After that it's more grinding, hand polishing the blade, and then fitting and shaping bolsters, guards, and handle material. The smallest one in the picture took about 6 hrs, and I'm working on one right now that already has about 20 hrs in it, and will require about 12-15 more before I'm done. Most of mine sell in the $250-400 range, with occasional forays below and above that range as appropriate.

I started making pens because sometimes it's nice to be able to start and finish something in the same evening.

Last edited:

Brooks803

Those are all beauties!

I'm envisioning you expanding into the world of wet shaving...making badger hair brushes, maybe small bowl for lathering soap, and a slick scratch made Damascus straight razor to boot! Hey...a guy can dream can't he?

Travis Fry

Those are all beauties!

I'm envisioning you expanding into the world of wet shaving...making badger hair brushes, maybe small bowl for lathering soap, and a slick scratch made Damascus straight razor to boot! Hey...a guy can dream can't he?

Thank you sir. I'm already a wet shaver, and am indeed planning to make brushes, DE razors, stands, etc. Not so sure about bowls yet, but straight razors for sure. Eventually. I have a lot of irons in the fire, so to speak, that really should get finished before I pick up too many more.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
SDB, I make my own blades. Some start with a bar of a given thickness, from which I bandsaw and grind the profile, grind the bevels, etc. Others start with a bar or rod (or, in the case of pattern welded steel, a whole bunch of little bars squished together and restacked repeatedly), which is then hot forged into a knife. After profile and bevels are done on either type, I heat treat the blade according to the specific requirements of whatever steel I'm using in a digintally controlled kiln. After that it's more grinding, hand polishing the blade, and then fitting and shaping bolsters, guards, and handle material. The smallest one in the picture took about 6 hrs, and I'm working on one right now that already has about 20 hrs in it, and will require about 12-15 more before I'm done. Most of mine sell in the $250-400 range, with occasional forays below and above that range as appropriate.

I'm speechless! That's just plain awesome, Travis.

Top Bottom