Recent pens from a beginner.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from oxx44

oxx44

Ok so here is my 7th & 8th pen.

- Blue acrylic Chrome Streamline Pen.
- Chrome Sierra Pen. ( I thought I was buying Indian ebony, but when I started to turn it I realized its not black through-out. If any one knows what this is please let me know. Not upset looks good I think and I'm happy with it, just have no idea how to describe it, lol)

Sorry for the bad pics, still learning this Cannon Powershot s5 and I dont have a close up lens.

Attachments

• IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 149
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Look good from here, I would bet the wood is Ziricote. Here's one of my pens in Ziricote. You can just see a bit of the lighter sapwood on the top and bottom by the nib end.

Attachments

• 1939.jpg
    1939.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 128

Silverado

Hi Rick

Both pens look great! I have a piece of macassar ebony in front of
me and they look very much alike.

Thanks Tim

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I believe Tim is correct - Macassar Ebony. This can have quite a bit more sap wood in general.

One question is - how difficult was it to drill? And what was the texture of shavings as you turned.

The light color is sapwood indicating this wood was cllose the the center of the tree.
It is a beautiful piece of wood and you did a great job with both pens!

oxx44

Great job!

I love the background on the first pen. Is that just a piece of glass? Water?

Its just my patio table, glass top with a leaf design on it.

I believe Tim is correct - Macassar Ebony. This can have quite a bit more sap wood in general.

One question is - how difficult was it to drill? And what was the texture of shavings as you turned.

The light color is sapwood indicating this wood was cllose the the center of the tree.
It is a beautiful piece of wood and you did a great job with both pens!

It was pretty dense I really had to take my time to drill. The turning came off in really small pieces it felt like I was just chipping away at it, the chips that came off were almost like tiny triangles. Definatly a slower process than normal.
I think you are right with Macassar Ebony.

Willee

Good job with the pens.

The glass top patio table is what I have used in some of my photos.
It does give a good background effect.

Noticed that your Sierra pen has a bit of over hang (oversized) where it meets the nib section.
Did you use bushings or turn it freehand?
To get that joint to be perfect (.475" diameter) it takes a true running mandrel, a steady hand, and sometimes a bit of good luck.
Nice thing about the Sierra pens is that they can be taken apart fairly easily and redone till they are perfect.

Good work ... Keep turning and I bet you will be very popular come Christmas time.

oxx44

Good job with the pens.

The glass top patio table is what I have used in some of my photos.
It does give a good background effect.

Noticed that your Sierra pen has a bit of over hang (oversized) where it meets the nib section.
Did you use bushings or turn it freehand?
To get that joint to be perfect (.475" diameter) it takes a true running mandrel, a steady hand, and sometimes a bit of good luck.
Nice thing about the Sierra pens is that they can be taken apart fairly easily and redone till they are perfect.

Good work ... Keep turning and I bet you will be very popular come Christmas time.

Yes I did use Bushings. I am slowly working my way closer and closer to them. I am trying to figure out just how much I should leave to accomidate for sanding. Apperatly it is not much.:) Thank you for the insight as well.

Top Bottom