A recent engine turned pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
A hexagonal stainless pen with some swirly grindy/ polishy marks on it:biggrin:
(I don't think this simple process should be called 'Engine Turned' )
Apologies if you've seen it in the other thread. :rolleyes:
Not perfect, but it took me long enough and took enough tries that I figured it came out just good enough to put in SOYPs
I hope you like it anyway.
C&C's of any kind welcome:biggrin:

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shull

Nice looking pen. Is it a shadow in the picture or is that the flat sides if the hexagonal? Very nice workmanship. It will out-live all of us.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice looking pen. Is it a shadow in the picture or is that the flat sides if the hexagonal? Very nice workmanship. It will out-live all of us.

Sorry Steve, I'm not sure what you mean? That little hump behind the pen? If so, that just the back of the domed holder.

Oh, it has a chrome clip from a long clicker that I wrecked ages ago and a finial twist mech from a cheap British kit. Parker Style refill

SteveG

Hi Steve
I hesitate to put forth MY view on your work, as I admire your workmanship and creative designs greatly. But here goes...
Speaking solely in the area of design, my first impression says this curvy clip does not go well with the straight lines and stark hex shape of the barrel. Would a straight profile clip work better? Besides that specific design feature, the pen itself is VERY nice, both in design and execution(as normal from you). Having just recently acquired a metal-work lathe, I am and have long been studying your work as a learning and motivational tool for me. If I ever figure out camera and computer, I will post some of my own attempts!
Respectfully submitted.
Steve Guzy

gwilki

I'm intrigued by the concept, Steven. I do wish that you could get away from the technical talk, though. "Swirly grindy/ polishy marks"?? :)

jttheclockman

Love to see some better photos. Maybe a closeup or two. Never even knew there was such a thing. Thanks for showing. As always thinking outside the box. Have to love it.

Great pen. I always have liked those swirly mark things and I always like a metal pen just wish I could make some. Even though the color on the long clicker clip is a tad off I personally think it goes good on the pen.
Oh yah. You need better pics!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for the comments.
I can normally take 'reasonable' pics, but for some reason this one was a bear:redface:

Hi Steve
I hesitate to put forth MY view on your work, as I admire your workmanship and creative designs greatly. But here goes...
Speaking solely in the area of design, my first impression says this curvy clip does not go well with the straight lines and stark hex shape of the barrel. Would a straight profile clip work better? Besides that specific design feature, the pen itself is VERY nice, both in design and execution(as normal from you). Having just recently acquired a metal-work lathe, I am and have long been studying your work as a learning and motivational tool for me. If I ever figure out camera and computer, I will post some of my own attempts!
Respectfully submitted.
Steve Guzy

Steve, don't ever be hesitant to express your opinion, especially if it's asked for. :biggrin: I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
I did have a straighter style clip on it like the one I used here on this one
but it didn't seem right and my wife preferred the curvy one. So guess which one gets used. :wink:
Although the pic is so bad it doesn't show, the pen actually looks very 'soft' anyway with all the reflective swirls so the clip doesn't look too bad.

Thanks again:biggrin:
12.45am here and time for bed:yawn:

OOPS

With all due respect to SteveG, one of the things I liked the best about this pen was the contrast in the pen clip! I understand what he was saying, but I really like this combination--and its much preferrable to the other clip in the other photo. Thanks a lot for showing this unique creation. Also, I am glad you're back on the site, I have always enjoyed looking at your work.

Top Bottom