Recent efforts at segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

I'm trying my hand at segmenting. Bear in mind I'm using a hand saw and a miter-box. Comments and critigues are appreciated.

Julia
DSCN0479a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

First they all look good, nice finish and good fits.

I like the middle two the most. The colors are very complimenting. The slimline looks good, the segment is too big and you loose some of the effect. IMO

The first one I am not sure, again it could be the segment is too big for that style or the spalting does not go. I am just not sure about it.

Keep up the good work.

ahoiberg

julia,

those segments look very well put together considering the miter saw/box. did you use some black wood or pick guard or something on a few of those or is that just a gap filled with CA? either way, they look nice.

i think you'd find better results with a band or scroll saw. but you've done some very nice work there. segmenting is a fun deal. i'm fixin' to try some of those diagonal bands as well.

i'd have to agree with tom that the spalted wood may look best on it's own. but that's what experiments are all about. the middle two look great with the segments. i assume they're holly with purpleheart? what are the other two?

thanks for posting them!

kkwall

Hi Julia,

Really nice work.

The middle two are best in my hunble opinion. The woods chosen work well together.[:p]

First one is nice but perhaps the spalting and size of the bands could be re-thought.

Last one is just too busy for my taste.

But that said, great work.[8D]

alxe24

Julia I like what you've done. As mentioned I think the 2 middle ones look the best. To me the segmented works best with contrsting plain woods. Spalted wood has it's own beauty and I think placing some segments detracts from it.

GaryMGg

I'm impressed that you're doing these with a hand-saw! [8D] A good quality backsaw or dozuki will allow you to make finer slices producing more gentle knots, which I think would look more refined. Keep up the great work.
Oh, the spalted wood sorta looks like pecan, but that's a real swag.
Gary

jtate

Thanks for the feedback.
The black line is a piece of a plastic notebook cover that glued in as another segment. DAMHIKT but - hint - when you use plastic as a segment, it's not good idea to put the piece in the oven to get the purpleheart color to pop out better. Whew! That was a challenge to fix.

The middle two are holly and purpleheart. I've used padouk as an accent wood before and had terrible results with the sanding dust permeating the other wood (or antler in one case) and discoloring it. Purpleheart didn't give me that problem. Have others noticed that?

jtate

Ron, How do you burn it? Would holding it against the sander a little too long for normal sanding purposes give a deep enough burn?

Julia

jeffj13

Julia,

Very nice pens, made even more impressive given that you used a hand saw. As others have said, I like the holly and purpleheart the best.

The only thing I noticed that might be a negative was in the Churchill the two lower bands don't appear to be parallel to one another, but that might just be an optical illusion.

Once again, nice job.

jeff

Gary Max

The third one to the right---very nice. Well they are all good looking pens but that one would be my pick.
Heck it's hard to beat a good miter saw. If I am wanting a perfect cut making a blank--- that's my go-to tool.

jtate

Ron

I'm going to try the fireplace lighting lighter - the kind with the long business end.

Any chance of a close-up of the upper barrel of the pen above? I'm trying to figure that out! Did you cut slots in the blank and slide the red material in and then turn it?

Julia

I would think a lighter may not be hot enough, but I guess it can't hurt to give it a try. Let me know how it works.

This is the best close up I have. Hope it helps

XPenTop.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom