Recent cactus pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a Jr. Statesman I finished a while back but never posted. I thought I would share since I have not had time to post a pic in a while. It was made with one of my clear "Original Cactus Pen"â"¢ blanks with the inside of the hole re-cast with black resin and re-drilled.

BTW, no post-processing with software other then croping and re-sizing was done on this photo. I have played around for a long time on lighting and photo tents for my pens and I think I finally stumbled on the right settings! I am pretty excited with the results!

Thanks for looking. Any and all comments good or bad appreciated!

20083734720_Clear%20Statesman2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Curtis , my two cents , don't change a thing ! You've got everything right ! Great looking pen . Thanks for the details . That helps alot . Really nice display . [8D]

Tanner

Re-cast the hole!!! Now that's one way to make sure the tube is not visable anywhere.[:0] Excellent job!!! Those sure are beautiful!! I have one of your blanks right next to the lathe, ready to go next!:D

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Don't be sorry, Mark! Thanks for the honest remark! My intent with this pic was to be more artistic than display of a pen. Maybe I missed it with too much distraction. Thanks again!

Grizz

Banned
That is just awesome. Can't think of a better word to use ... just awesome. [^]

R2

Curtis, that is a beautiful pen in every respect!!:):):)[^]
The photo is brilliant also. I like the way you have used the raw material without letting the pen become a secondary subject.:):)[:p]

BigShed

The only pen I ever call cactus...........is the one that didn't work:D

All jokes aside, that is one unusual and beautiful pen. (wish there was a 2 thumbs up icon here)

Photo is not too shabby either.

Verne

OMG Curtis. Is that what they are suppose to look like. Seems like I got some "splaining" to do.
Great Job.
Vern

VisExp

That looks great Curtis. I really like the photo. I understand the need for most photo's to show off just the photo, but I feel there is still a place for "artistic" images. I think you have hit the mark here. The only negative that I see is a tad to much shine light on the lower barrel.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by MesquiteMan

Don't be sorry, Mark! Thanks for the honest remark! My intent with this pic was to be more artistic than display of a pen. Maybe I missed it with too much distraction. Thanks again!

I also agree with Mark. The pen is extraordinary but it seems to get lost a little by overlaying the dried material. Perhaps if you cut the dried material in half and used the right side (which I think looks very nice)and had the pen leaning on the green part with a smaller section of the dried material under it to the left and the bottom of the pen was alone against the background?

I don't know if my gibberish is understandable so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

That's a nice pen Curtis and your recasting idea is Genius! I might have to "borrow" it for some future projects.

karlkuehn

Banned
Nice looking pen! I agree about the distracting background...a little. It's actually kind of neat with the black background and the black tubes. It's almost like the pen kit is just floating there. :D Great clarity and color on the photo!

Top Bottom