Rebar Long Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hunter-27

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is another rebar pen
This time it is a rhodium Long Clicker from Aaron at Lau Lau.
It was built for the father of a friend of mine. He works at a cement plant so it was fitting.

Attachments

• rebar clicker 00000a.jpg
    rebar clicker 00000a.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 522
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Is it very heavy Landon?????

Lin.
Not as much as you might think, not much heavier than most other quality pens. By the time you drill out the center you take away a good portion of the weight. One thing is sure it WILL NOT crack on you.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
What size re-bar do you use and how hard is it to drill? I assume there is no lathe work, just drill, polish, and apply some kind of finish to prevent rust? Being a homebuilder, those would go over very well with some of the concrete guys and know.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Is it rough to hold? Looks sweet btw!

Actually it is smoother than one realizes, the more you handle it the more it "polishes"it. Now for those soft handed folks out there, might not be the best choice. :eek::biggrin:

What size re-bar do you use and how hard is it to drill? I assume there is no lathe work, just drill, polish, and apply some kind of finish to prevent rust? Being a homebuilder, those would go over very well with some of the concrete guys and know.
It is #4 rebar.

The only lathe work was when I put it on the lathe to drill it.
After drilling, I took it to the bench grinder to "turn" it down to the correct taper to match the components. It is a real bear to drill, had to go very slowly and use a quality bit (It will ruin anything else). This is the second rebar pen I've made and this piece drilled easier than the last, might be differences between the brands of rebar as the last one seemed to grab the bit more than this one, might just be I knew better how to approach it(Slowly) this time. As far as rust, I wiped it down with WD-40, polished most of it off with a dry cloth and told its new owner to stay out of the rain with it. :wink: Yes they would sell to your concrete guy friends. The owner of the cement company here wants more of them so I guess I better get another couple bits as I don't see one doing very many, maybe a drill doctor would be a good investment, I dont know of they are designerd to sharpen the cobalt bits, guess I'll have to check on that.

Last edited:

PenPal

Hi Landon,
As I explained to you when I first showed my Rebar pen on the site as a modified Slimline I reckon its easier to drill shorter lengths, I sleeve with brass tubes to make it so easy to refill. There are also as I said before you made your first there are two types one for length runs harder steel and one softer for bending. They chuck whatever steel in there anyway bit like Lintel angle Iron. Like the Clikker. I use my metal lathe its easier. There is a huge market for the pens with Rebar so much is used in the building Trade. Good to see you followed on.

Regards Peter.

KenBrasier

Cool Idea, that is a real eye-catcher. Well Done!

I just might have to try making one and use powder coating.

KenV

Nice pen landon --

You may want to have cobalt steel bits sharpened by a tool and die grinder. They have much closer tolerances than the drill doctor. Light touch with drill doctor should work, but may be too sloppy for success in steel.

Think chucking reamer for fit on the ends.

JerrySambrook

You can make an easier time of it by annealing it first.

The ones I did last year were drilled undersize from either end, and then finish reamed to size so that the tubes were not necessary.
Also, there are two different configurations of rebar. The ones that look like they are herringbone in pattern are much more uniform than the regular ones, so they center up and drill easier

This group of 25 were for Iron Workers Local in Ct

Attachments

• 100_0114 (Medium).jpg
    100_0114 (Medium).jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_0111 (Medium).jpg
    100_0111 (Medium).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 125

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
You can make an easier time of it by annealing it first.

The ones I did last year were drilled undersize from either end, and then finish reamed to size so that the tubes were not necessary.
Also, there are two different configurations of rebar. The ones that look like they are herringbone in pattern are much more uniform than the regular ones, so they center up and drill easier

This group of 25 were for Iron Workers Local in Ct
Nice folder. The one I made does not have tubes, I did drill it out full length with the largest bit I could as it reduced the weight. On a Sierra might not matter as much but the Long Click had quite a bit more steel in it.

Top Bottom