The reason for all of this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BlackPearl

BlackPearl

This is the reason I started turning Pens. Back in 1999 I bought a Shopsmith and turned some pens for my sales team, they did not go over. I got busy and with one thing and another never got to use the lathe for a long time. Last year SWMBO told me I could no long work forty hours a week and then ride my bike for another forty or fifty. So I got a new lathe to do lidded boxes and bowls.
We were at one of our local turning stores and there were a couple of guys turning pens. She watched them for a while and stated that I could turn her a pen. She picked out a Jr. Gent and an acrylic blank called "goldfish". We got the supplies and headed home I found about 10 each of the slimline and Round top euro that I had gotten back in '99 so there was my practice. I finally got ready to tackle the pen for her and I got such horrendous run out that the bushings were slipping into the holes. 5 blanks later we discovered that the friction from the bit was causing the acrylic to soften and distort, hence the run out.
Yesterday, armed with a spray bottle of water and a firm resolve I drilled the blank and did not get oval holes!!
Anyway this is the result and I have to say I was at a turn a thon a couple of weeks ago and met "its virgil" and a whole lot of nice guys. So I have gotten over the rejection from 12 years ago and will add pens to my turning on a regular basis.
With all the bushings, mandrels, and blanks that it took to make this, I doubt that there will ever be a more expensive pen to come out of my shop.
Any and all comments and criticisms welcome. The pictures are not great but I really am proud of the pen.

Attachments

• Pens003.jpg
    Pens003.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Pens007.jpg
    Pens007.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 222
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Looks nice. I like that blank. When you say riding bike, do you mean motorcyle or bicycle?

D.Oliver

Never mind I see in your profile you mean bicycle. How many hours/distance do you ride per day?

RogerH

Looks gorgeous, Cliff. Great job.

If that pen is any indication, I think you will have a LOT of success with the hobby the second time around. Your sales team problably didn't have much taste when you made pens for them.

Good luck and have fun. Your wife should love that pen !

Roger

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You could not have found a better "ambassador" for the pen-turning hobby than Don!!!

Listen closely to him---follow his words like gospel, soon you will create masterpieces!!!

(Send me the ten bucks any time, Don!!)

Top Bottom