Really enjoying this...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brownsfn2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Den

It looks like a Timberbits Junior Gent to me.
If it is how do you get the original finial "Gem" out? Press it out or "Bonk" it out?
It really adds a lot to this already beautiful pen.
Regards,
John

Last edited:

Hendu3270

Looks great! And yes, a custom finial that matches the blank material adds that little something extra that sets it apart from others.

brownsfn2

Wow. Thanks for all the nice comments.

This is a Jr Gent II kit. I used a center punch to get the finial out. On the first one I did I had drill it out a bit as well.

I got a collet chuck over Christmas so I just take the small left over piece after cutting the blank and chuck it up and turn the finial from it. Much easier than dealing with glue blocks etc. I do wish I had a thin parting tool though. It would make it a little easier. ;)

Thanks again!

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Wow. Thanks for all the nice comments.

This is a Jr Gent II kit. I used a center punch to get the finial out. On the first one I did I had drill it out a bit as well.

I got a collet chuck over Christmas so I just take the small left over piece after cutting the blank and chuck it up and turn the finial from it. Much easier than dealing with glue blocks etc.
I do wish I had a thin parting tool though. It would make it a little easier. ;)
Easy enough to make from an old hack saw blade!

brownsfn2

I do have an old hacksaw blade. Anyone know of a good website link I can reference?

Edit: Just notice the link to the Captain. I will check it out.

Alzey

I made my thin parting tool out of a jigsaw blade. Just ground the teeth off and ground a profile on the tip. Would be better with a saws all blade ad they are thicker and less likely to flex.

brownsfn2

Yep. I think the saws all blade would be better. I am not sure I have one of those but I am going to look. If not I have plenty of jigsaw blades that are dull. :)

Jim Burr

Banned
Sawsall blade works good too. There is a good tutorial in the library on removal and mounting finials for turning. Beautiful finial work...really adds to the class!

Mr Vic

Good job Ron, Next step is to replace the black ring in the center band to match the finial.

I made my mini parting tool out of a metal cutting jig saw blade. Ruffed up the surface and CA'd between two popsicle stick which I warpped in red duck tape...

Attachments

• MiniPartingTool.jpg
    MiniPartingTool.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 114
  • PartToolTip.jpg
    PartToolTip.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 105
Top Bottom