Realistic looking Cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This is a pen I made yesterday, after the thread from wood butcher on writing a tutorial about the subject. I contacted Bill to see if he was going to follow up on his method and put it on the site. I explained the two methods I used to make the ash look real, and that I could possably explain them in a simple thread, if that was all most people were interestd in. And I didn't want to preempt his effort. He said go for it !! The works of the pen are PSI Magnitic Vertex Rollerball, but any pen kit will do, even a Slimline. Although a realy didn't need them, I used the tubes to give the pen more strength. I countersunk the coupler and magnets into the Quilted Sapele blanks. I turned down the faceted end of the coupler so it would fit into a round hole. The nib and the roller ball were the only other parts from the kit I used. By carefully measuring and drilling, I didn't need the spring. The ash on the end was added after I finished the rest of the pen with thick CA, and is a segment of Blackwood added and shaped on the disk sander. You don't want it to be perfectly round. To make the ash look real, I used a rotary tool with a very small ball cutter to roughen up the surface. Next, I painted the end of the pen with a white craft paint. Before the paint dries completely, take a rag and wipe off the high spots until you are satisfied with the results. Excuse the not so pefect fit, I forgot to round over one of the blanks. I have also done this effect on a mini pen formed into a chared branch made out of polymar clay, that I will also post. If this is enough to get you going I will call it a day. If you want a tutorial on how to make this type of pen, let me know. It,s a double closed end pen without a clip, but could be made in a lot of different ways with different kits. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (640x270).jpg
    DSCF0001 (640x270).jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 589
  • DSCF0002 (640x464).jpg
    DSCF0002 (640x464).jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 521
  • DSCF0003 (640x339).jpg
    DSCF0003 (640x339).jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 975
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

Overall, NICE. What keeps the cap on? If I may make a suggestion (?) I would drill is super small hole in the area that one would puff on to draw the smoke in, just of course, for adornment. Thanks and be well.....Jan

plantman

Jan; Cap is held on by magnets. I went out today and bought a real cigar and box. Needed a band for mine. The one I purchased has no hole in the blunt end, and is cut square on the other. I also found out that the real cigar I bought is about 2 inches longer than the one I made, or about 7 inches by 3/8 inches around. I don't know much about cigars other than they come in different lengths and thicknesses, and have different names for each kind. Maybe someone out there can tell me how they draw the smoke through the sealed end. I have seen people clip the ends off and put them in cigar holders. I don't smoke, so I have no idea. Does anyone know where one could get fancy bands? Jim S

Last edited:

Janster

www.justfakes.com

....sells cigar bands. Learned something new again,thought cigars had a draw hole for the smoke to come through! Be well.......Jan

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Very interesting approach. You can get both new and used cigar bands on e-bay - some very cheap and some pricey. I would also try a cigar store; I sure they would make a trade for a whole bunch.

BradG

Here is my realistic cigar pen. Its so realistic you can actually smoke it! And tastes fantastic too.... though its missing all the pen components :biggrin:

ForumRunner_20130306_235748.png

plantman

So are you worried about the white paint wearing off in time?

Not realy, because the white paint is down in the recesses of the tip and will realy never get any direct contact. I guess one could put a clear flat
finish over the end if they choose to. the more contact the tip gets the blacker the Blackwood will get and the contrast will be even better. One thing I noticed on Maxwell Smart 007's photo was how he had an uneven ash and a dark black burn mark on the tobacco leaf. This would realy add a little more realizem to the cigar. Great photo !!! I was thinking of adding either some silver or red Sparkel Dust to the next one to give it a little ember glow. What do you think? Also I think if one could find the right piece of gray Buckeye Burl, it could be used for the ash. Jim S

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Not realy, because the white paint is down in the recesses of the tip and will realy never get any direct contact. I guess one could put a clear flat
finish over the end if they choose to. the more contact the tip gets the blacker the Blackwood will get and the contrast will be even better. One thing I noticed on Maxwell Smart 007's photo was how he had an uneven ash and a dark black burn mark on the tabaco leaf. This realy added a little more realizem to the cigar. Great work !!! I was thinking of adding either some silver or red Sparkel Dust to the next one, to give it a little ember glow. What do you think? Also I think if one could find the right piece of gray Buckeye Burl, it could be used for the ash. Jim S

Ummm... I'm pretty sure that Andrews picture IS a cigar. Thus the realism!

plantman

:tongue: Wish I would have had a real cigar to look at when I attempted mine, but that photo is an excellent way to get ideas. Jim S

BradG

Jim I buy mine in europe. Just come back from bulgaria but recently been visiting websites. Prices are extremely good from Germany so mail order may be the way to go .

plantman

Thanks Brad; I was wondering if you could get Cuban cigars imported into the UK, or if there were American brands availaible there? When I went to the local smoke shop, their's were mostly from the Dominican Republic. They did not have or sell bands, so if you would be so kind as to send me a few, they will be greatly treasured. I will pm you my address. Thanks again !! Your craftsmanship and forward thinking are outstanding. Jim S

StephenM

Excellent work on the Sapelle! I hate working with that stuff - it tears, cracks and even with veneer it's hard to get a straight cut with a knife.

plantman

Overall, NICE. What keeps the cap on? If I may make a suggestion (?) I would drill is super small hole in the area that one would puff on to draw the smoke in, just of course, for adornment. Thanks and be well.....Jan

:rolleyes: Jan; That hole you were talking about got me to thinking. I know I had seen that somewhere before. I searched through the library tonight and found it. I think it will make turning this pen and any other closed end pen much easier for some beginning pen turners. It's a tutorial by Mick ( michr, He lives in the Wilderness someplace, and has no last name, so I can't give him full credit ) on how to turn " closed end pens on a regular pen mandrel ". I usualy leave a little extra on the end of my blank and drill a little pilot hole to put my live center in and turn between centers or with a 4 jaw chuck on the square end. Who knew !!! Jim S

Last edited:

plantman

Here is a case where gloss on the pen does not look good. Dull the pen down and get more a realistic look. Thanks for showing.

You are correct John!! Dull would be more realistic. However, with the GG quilted Sapele, I just couldn't let that grain go to waste. Sorry !! But that is a very good point taken. Jim S

Last edited:

Jjartwood

Got a bag full of bands free,Just went to a cigar smoke club and asked for a few,
The higher end cigars (hand rolled ) usually require that the end be cut to allow the smoke to be drawn thru,also the little piece of wood inclosed with the better cigars is used to
light the cigar to avoid the transfer of chemicals or burnt gases thru the cigar while lighting it. So I've been told,I don't smoke them either.
Mark

Top Bottom