Realistic Cigar Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryh3333

gerryh3333

Here's my first attempt at the Realistic Cigar Pen (thanks to Bill Bettag,
A.K.A "Wood Butcher" great instructions). I'm still on a steep learning curve. My question: Which ashtray (purchased, not turned) looks better as a "presentation box?"

Attachments

• RealisticCigar1.jpg
    RealisticCigar1.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 292
  • RealisticCigar2.jpg
    RealisticCigar2.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
well done grasshopper. That's as good of a first shot as I have seen. I would prefer the larger ashtray. If you're staging for photos I suggest you chop/grind some of the buckeye burl and put the dust and chips in the ashtray, really convincing that way. At Christmas my daughter jumped all over me saying, "I can't believe you have started smoking again", the RC was in an ashtray near the recliner with the false ash in it.
WB
William Bettag
Wood Butcher

Jdubfudge

I like the larger one. I feel the live edge one takes away from the pen because it is more obvious and so I keep looking at the ashtray, when I should be looking at the pen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MDWine

Gerry, I love this.
(Personally I would turn an ashtray with appropriate sized grooves, but these look OK)

I'm guessing that the body (thuya) does not "HAVE" to be stabilized, right?

(never mind, I read the rest of the article! why can't I delete the post?)

I really want to give this a try.

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Gerry,
I tried about all of the options but that's not to say the process I used can't be improved on. If you can get it to work without the "groove" please go for it and post it here so others can benefit. I'm married for 56 years but certainly not to this process. The picture on page 6 shows why the groove worked with this kit. The "new and improved process uses a magnetic kit and may work around this issue better. Thanks for reading all of this gobbeldy gook.
WB
If for some reason you can't open the library instructions I am glad to email it to you.
billbettag@aol.com

Top Bottom