A real toughie... wood ID help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from panamag8or

panamag8or

Wow, this one almost got turned to the tube more than once... more on that later.
First, I need help with the wood. I know it's pine, but it was not your normal hunk of wood. Imagine if you took a pine branch and wrung it like a towel... that's what this was. Here's a pic of half of it:
68534_10200784443039130_755255185_n.jpg

Here's the cut. Look at those tight rings.
16220_10200784442559118_186255060_n.jpg

Is this a burl? Is there such a thing as pine burl?

Anyway, after an adventure cutting it (it separated a couple of times), I had two blanks. The first one (barrel) was fine until I went to punch the TBC bushing out, and it cracked... all the way around. broke right in two. I glued it back, but there was a piece missing, about the size of a sesame seed. I filled with CA and sawdust, but it was brighter than the rest... ugh.

The cap, well, it had a pretty big chunk fly out about halfway. I filled it with CA and dust, and it was much darker than the rest. Again... ugh. This is when I almost turned it off and started over.

However, I persevered, and this is what I got: Jr Gent fountain in chrome.
44171_10200784493520392_729759188_n.jpg

Here's a close-up, with the crazy grain. See that "chip" at the nib end? That's exposed bark. You can't even see the repaired crack about 1/3 of the way down.
551533_10200784493480391_840633408_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Not a burl . Looks like a piece from the base of a large branch of old growth pine . Can be difficult to turn because of the transition to cross grain part way down the barrel , as you found out . Nice looking pen .

SDB777

Sure it's from a pine?

Use to see Juniper bushes that had the twist your showing, the growth ring are super tight on them(dang things live forever and a half), and they smell a little like pine when you cut into them.

Definitely not a burl, and yes....I've seen pines with them. City tree just inside the city limits of Pottsville, AR.

Nice save on the pen crackage!!!

Scott (FOG wood....found on ground) B

bruce119

I would say Cypress being your from Florida. I had Cypress that looked just like that especially if it sat in a swap for a wile. I found the Cypress I had to be very sappy had to cut (gummed up my ban saw blade bad).

You got it done...Looks good.

plantman

If it is a Pine, there is only one pine native to Florida. Pinus echinata techinata, or Shortfeaf Pine. Also know as Carolina Pine, Northern Carolina Pine, Pitch Pine and Yellow Pine. It was one of the most prized woods in ship building and was used for the masts in all navel vessels of the United States and Great Britain. In the 1700's the British claimed the wood as the property of the British Crown for the masts of the Royal Navy. It is the state tree of Arkansas. This Pine is usualy a lighter color than the piece you have, unless it has been submerged under water for a long time. Before the road system we have today, most logs were rafted down rives to saw mills, and many were lost and sunk to the river bottoms where they remain in pristeen condition yet today. They are highly sought after, and can fetch up to $8000 per log, depending on type of wood and size. Jim S

Last edited:

bruce119

If it is a Pine, there is only one pine native to Florida. Jim S
USDA plant database also shows sand , slash , spruce , long leaf , pond and loblolly pines as being native to parts of Florida .

That don't mean much.

Every thing under the sun grows down hear :island:

I still say Cypress maybe some old growth sinker pine.
Where was it found, near water I would bet, did it gum up your blade as you cut.

panamag8or

If it is a Pine, there is only one pine native to Florida. Jim S
USDA plant database also shows sand , slash , spruce , long leaf , pond and loblolly pines as being native to parts of Florida .

That don't mean much.

Every thing under the sun grows down hear :island:

I still say Cypress maybe some old growth sinker pine.
Where was it found, near water I would bet, did it gum up your blade as you cut.

Nah, it didn't gum up, it was actually pretty dry. It drilled just like pine, with material compacted in the flutes. It smelled like really strong pine-sol while I was turning it. I've turned some antique pine before, and this acted just the same. The color was much lighter before the CA hit it. Not sure of it's origin, I found it in the storage area of my station wagon as I was cleaning it out to be sold. The previous owner had left it... good karma for me, I guess.:biggrin:

This is also the wood I used for my Aussie swap pen, which finally arrived down under yesterday.
532197_238213312970454_380172696_n.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom