A real "Beauty"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from oops99

oops99

I had a piece of scrap sitting out all winter and it looked like hell, but I picked it up from the wall it was sitting on and it said to me "IT IS TIME".
I showed it to my wife and she looked at me like I was nuts, I cut it into 3 blanks last night and when she saw the inside of the wood she seemed to breath a sigh of relief. I don't know if I am just lucky or maybe I actually might be able to read a piece of wood before it's cut up, but I've been pretty spot on when I look at something as it comes off the tree.
Here is what I can only refer to as a "Beauty" pen made from spalted maple.
I know that a lot of people, especially pen makers don't love this shape, but whenever I make one of these it usually sells as soon as someone looks at it, so as I enjoy making this style, it seems to be popular in the part of NY that I live in.
Any and all comments welcome.

Tom/oops99

SpaltedMapleBeauty001.jpg

SpaltedMapleBeauty005.jpg

SpaltedMapleBeauty003.jpg

SpaltedMapleBeauty006.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Pretty wood. If the shape sells then it's a great shape. It looks like the clip holder is not seated... Sometimes with big bulges, the clip will actually lift it out.

KenV

Except for the wasp waist it looks great to me. I see great lines and finish -- Have you tried that general shape with the swell in diameter without the kit centerband??

Freethinker

Beautiful wood and finish.............although I find the shape unappealing, I have to commend you on your photography.

I wish everyone could post pictures that show the pen that clearly.

oops99

When I was assembeling the pen, the plug end for the clip started going in crooked, and started splitting the wood, so I had to take it apart and glue/clamp the wood. Since the wood on the end is so thin, I decided to put some med CA on it and then snugging it into the end. It actually looks good in the hand. I have had to do this before.

The finish is 6 coats of CA/BLO and 2 coats of One Step Plastic Polish.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Tom/oops99

PS. My Father was a photographer :)

Great looking pen....reminds me of Greta Garbo or Marylin Monroe with their tiny waists and other great features!!!! Nice shine too!

Top Bottom