re your first pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from michael j flett

can any one help i have been making pens using a 7mm mandrell, slimline and gel click pens. would like to make pens of different types will i need another mandrell or just different bushings.
michael
scotland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Most pens use the "A" mandrel which is the one you have just different bushings and drill bits for the different pens.

There is also a "B" mandrel which is slightly larger. The only pen I have run across so far that uses it is the "Perfect Fit" Although there are likely bushings out there somewhere that fit the "A" mandrel for this pen.

ctubbs

Where did you buy your mandrel? There was a discussion earlier this week here about mandrel sizes. Allen, do you remember who started that thread? It seems that the PSI was the smallest with WC and CSUSA being larger. If you have the PSI mandrel, then the other bushings should work if a bit loose. However WoodCraft and CSUSA mandrels probably would not be able to use PSI bushings. My $0.02 today. Somebopdy with a memory jump in here and set me streight.
Charles

Drstrangefart

Where did you buy your mandrel? There was a discussion earlier this week here about mandrel sizes. Allen, do you remember who started that thread? It seems that the PSI was the smallest with WC and CSUSA being larger. If you have the PSI mandrel, then the other bushings should work if a bit loose. However WoodCraft and CSUSA mandrels probably would not be able to use PSI bushings. My $0.02 today. Somebopdy with a memory jump in here and set me streight.
Charles

If you're looking for someone with a good memory, I ain't the guy to look to. I do remember the thread existing at one point.

i bought my mandrel from wood-n -whimsies in the usa as i couldnt find one for my lathe in the uk i then bought the 8mm bushings from them when i started making the 2 part gel click pens but when i saw curtis first pen i was very impressed and would like to try some of them if i can access the kits at reasonable cost. (quite expensive with uk customs) any advice welcome.

studioso

don't forget that you will need a different way to square off the ends of your pens.if you now use a pen mill with a 7mm mill to trim the barrel it will be loose in bigger tubes.
your options are to create sleeves (ideally using derlin or some other plastic), and if your pen uses 8mm tubes you can slide a 7mm tube over the mill, or you can buy different pilot shafts like these:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...ngeable_Pilot_Shaft___inter_pilot_shaft?Args=
but they are expensive and I don't think that they come in all sizes. avoid buying the " apprentice kit" which comes with a variety of sizes: it seems cheaper that other kits, at 30$, but it's one of the worst made tool sets I have ever seen and didn't last me 3 pens.

another option is making your own jig, like this one:
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2010/squaringpenblanksonabeltdiscsander.pdf

if done well, it willwork much better than anything that you can buy. it will also get the whole blank flush, not just the small diameter of a pen mill.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Michael, first a warm welcome to IAP. It's a great place to be when it's too cold to venture into your shop:biggrin:

Several vendors in the UK are now starting to stock some of the 'better' kits. At first they were rediculously expensive but seem to becoming more comparible with the cost of importing them. If you only buy a few kits at a time, then as long as you don't go over the maximum amount ( I think it's £38, but may have changed )then you shouldn't have to pay import duty. Of course, Parcel Force may still add the £8 handling fee.
If you can afford to buy many kits at the same time, then it's still much cheaper to import than to buy locally.

Here are a few UK companies that I know of;

Axminster - basic kits plus one or two better ones
Turners Retreat - still a bit expensive but best range
UKPenKits - Haven't dealt with them yet
Rutlands - Limited range, none with good platings
Craft Supplies (UK) - Fair range, but mostly only 24k

All of them now sell mandrels and bushings

I think I have bought from all the USA companies and all offer great service.
However, the best of them (CSUSA- biggest range) can cost you. For some reason they seem to pack even a small amount of stuff in a big box, when it could easily have fitted in a flat rate box. :mad:
Now, when it hits the UK, it's too big for the Royal Mail ( postman)to handle and automatically gets handed to Parcel Force. They then always add their handling charge and frequently 'decide' that you need to pay duty on it too. :mad:
The other unfortunate snag with CSUSA is that they have yet (after years) to automate the shipping cost calculation for UK and you may have to wait a day or so to get an email with the actual cost.

Sorry for the long story, but hope it helps a little:biggrin:

BTW, I wouldn't mind a wee dram from that bonnie cog:wink:

Last edited:
i dont mind long replys i apreciate all the advice i can get. just started making pens this year so still a novice. have managed to sell a few but not going to make my fortune, but few other projects in the pipe line.
realy keen to make some different pens though will look at those sites and see what i can have a go at.
many thanks for replying.
www.mjfcustomwoodworking.com
michael
ps
i work for the local council driving a skip lorry so most of my materials come out of a skip also. realy impressed with the pens on your site.

Last edited:

Mark

All three of my mandrels are WC. The only bushing set I've ever had a problem with were the (lower half) bushings for the Jr Retro from CSUSA. I asked them about it, they sent me another set and I still had the problem. Definitely a different size mandrel issue.

thanks curtis i will have a look at the woodcraft site and see what i can do.
i havnt tried turning anything other than wood yet so need to have a go.
thanks again.

witz1976

...Now, when it hits the UK, it's too big for the Royal Mail ( postman)to handle and automatically gets handed to Parcel Force. ...

Skiprat, you totally just made my day, just because knowing across the pond there is a postal carrier called PARCEL FORCE!:biggrin::biggrin: Do they run around with capes and masks on handing out packages?

Heck all we have here in the US (for the big boys) is UPS and FedEx...not very creative:redface:

PenMan1

Most pens use the "A" mandrel which is the one you have just different bushings and drill bits for the different pens.

There is also a "B" mandrel which is slightly larger. The only pen I have run across so far that uses it is the "Perfect Fit" Although there are likely bushings out there somewhere that fit the "A" mandrel for this pen.

Cambridge, Cambridge Ultra and few others use only a "B" mandrel. I keep a "B" on hand because some sets will use "A" or "B" bushings. When I turn on a mandrel, I prefer the "B" because it is thicker and almost impossible to bend by overtightening.

Top Bottom