Re: My Finished Pens Mahogany From Farhan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from farhanc007

farhanc007

Hello I have made my pens. I used Mahogany for wood and 14ct/kt gold vintage nib and sections and Sterling Silver for clips and band.

I got my 14 ct/kt nibs, sections and bits to make nib and sections were from a vintage pen parts supplier in the north of England.

I ordered my Sterling Silver clips and bands from a Silver pen parts manufacturer in America.

I got 1 pen band engraved with my name from a Central London engraver.

I had help from a London wood turner who helped when I got stuck.

The London based wood turner had a wood workshop in his shed, and gave advice and guidance and the use of his workshop. The London wood turner helped finish my pens off as I am novice.

I had a problem as band diameter was slightly smaller than nib section so we decided to put the band at the bottom.
The total cost was $200.38 (£123.01) including use of the workshop excluding the $24.43 (£15) for engraving for both pens.

I look forward for comments of aesthetics of my two fountain pens.

Yours

Farhan

post-102333-0-33355000-1387053662.jpg

post-102333-0-35237600-1387053713.jpg

post-102333-0-21763200-1387053752.jpg

post-102333-0-74099700-1387053797.jpg

plantman

Farhan: Great job on your pens. However you need a little help with your photos. Get rid of the busy background. Better lighting will bring out the detail of your pens that we are missing seeing. Check the library on this site for more specific hints and tips. Keep up the good work. Jim S

OZturner

Interesting Pens, Farhan.
I like the Profile, Proportions, and Lines of your Pens.
The slight concave line of the body is different, and the ramp to the Cap joint is Novel.
As mentioned it is a shame that the photograph wasn't clearer, as it makes the Blanks dark, and the figure is difficult to distinguish.
Also it doesn't do anything for the appearance of your Finish.
The fitting of the Engraved bands to the Post end of the blank is a shame, as they would have given a Terrific Lift to the Pen in the Central Position.
From the Costing information you provided, and your comments that you are a Novice.
I would strongly recommend that you consider setting your sights on some less expensive components or kits, and develop your skill sets on the lesser cost Pens.
I look forward to your next Posting.
Brian.

farhanc007

Hello I appreciate the comments on my kit-less pen.

If people are interested I can post where I purchased my parts for pens.

In case people are looking for sterling silver parts starting and 14kt gold nib vintage sections for £30/$50

yours

Farhan

Top Bottom