Ray's Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Recently I had the great oppertunity to attend Indy Fest at Ray Thompson's in Anderson Indiana. It was a two day eventy with many demostrations and great people.

I was asked to give a few demo's, I did one on hand cut half bilnd dove tails and one on turning solid end pens.

I turned a Tru Stone Malachite as my demo piece.
20061021151929_pen1.jpg

Again a version I Junior Gent, I have three kit's left!

20061021152058_pen2.jpg

Anyway, As soon as I finished the pen I gave it to Ray as a gift of my appreciation for what he does for the woodworking community (WoodCentral) that we are a part of, hosting a large gathering like he and his wife Lynn do annually is really a very generous gift of bringing many wonderful people together to share great times.

I didn't have time to make images of the finished pen, Ray sent me these images yesterday.

Thanks Ray!

:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgray

Great pen, Jim!

Curious how you finished the tru-stone.

I have some blanks waiting to be turned, and I'm thinking that I'll finish them by wet-sanding to about 2000 grit, then 20/20 polish, then some PPP wax.

Thoughts? How did you do yours?

Thanks,

Brian

Originally posted by bgray43050
<br />Great pen, Jim!

Curious how you finished the tru-stone.

I have some blanks waiting to be turned, and I'm thinking that I'll finish them by wet-sanding to about 2000 grit, then 20/20 polish, then some PPP wax.

Thoughts? How did you do yours?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I have worked my process now to a basic forumla, and I only now turn materials that work with it.

I wet sand using ABralon from 500-4000, then move to Micro mesh, wet sanding 6000-12000, then I use Novus 2 scratch remover and I'm done...sometimes I will use the LV Conservetors Microcrystaline wax....simple as that. On some woods I will use Mylands sealer and friction polish if I want a gloss look,

Hope that helps[:)]

Thanks all,

I know Ray is enjoying it.
This was my other demo, hand cut half blind dove tails..

kind of different to do with out your own work bench, I used a bench with no face vice.

Just thought I'd share a bit of the process

200610221465_IMG_7091.jpg
<br />

2006102214636_IMG_7095.jpg
<br />

and the result prior to the final clean up, not perfect, but okay.
2006102214139_IMG_7096.jpg
<br />

[:)]

A little glue, a little sawdust and a few passes on the side with a smoothing plane and it would be done!

Gatherings and doing demo's are a fun time and a great way to exchange ideas and learn from each other.

[:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom