Rattle snake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Rattle snake cigar with black fittings. My first "snake" and learned the hard way how fragile these blanks can be. Blew the top blank in half and got lucky finding the pieces. CA is truly the "wonder drug". I can't even see where the blank had blown. Comments welcome. Regards, Rob

20066291053_RSCigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

This must be a blank from AZ Silhouette, right? The guy who makes those for BB uses way too much hardener and that make them amazingly brittle. Very nice job on it, BTW.

Tanner

Looks great! I have a Baron in that I want to try, but feel I need more experience before the attempt. I read the paper that came with it and it does say to sand the corners down so that it is an octagon before hitting it with the gouge or skew. All I have is a belt sander, so I hope that works for me.

Rob

Thanks for the kind words all. Photo is not as good as I'd like, as it makes the pen a bit dull looking by the nib. Actually it polished up like glass. The blanks did come from AZ Silhouette and they were very brittle. I knocked down the corners before turning, but got a bit more aggressive with a gouge than I should have. It came apart in three big pieces and several chips. A bunch of the little pieces met the impeller on my dust collector. I put it back together like a puzzle and following hints and tips I've read in this great site, was able to fill in gaps/chips with CA and recover the blank. Got real lucky I think and it turned out very well. Thanks again for the compliments.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom