Rate My Pens - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Photos: 0

Since I'm a hippy I have nothing to lose!! Looks like some bushing tolerances need a look see. The knuckle slimline could be hard to hold. Nice job on the diagonal cut colorwood, those are tough! You didn't say what the finish was so they could wear out in an hour or two years. If I wasn't a hippy, well...who knows!
Jim Burr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broitblat View Post
Reece,

Good looking pens, although I think you'll find that the busier shapes and blanks are more interesting to your fellow penmakers than to the "general public".

-Barry

I dont care for busy pens at all. As Mathew pointed out loose the center bands, I would add stick to clean lines in your designs. They are more pleasing to the eye and MUCH more comfortable to use. You have a fine set of firsts but spend some time in the library looking over the finishing articles. I love CA finishes, thank you IAP members, but there are many folks who dont like to work with it. Play and experiment, see what works for you. There are no set rules in turning or design.
Rick P is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 108

well done...................
OLDMAN5050 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Look ok to me.

They're fine. The price they might sell at ... who knows. That is a BIG variable and there really is no right answer. Lowest I've seen them offered is about $12.00, I've sold them from $1.00 (eBay no reserve auctions) to the highest for that style of about $25.00 for one turned from a customers blank that had sentimental value to him..

Last edited by Smitty37; 10-29-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
Since I'm a hippy I have nothing to lose!! Looks like some bushing tolerances need a look see. The knuckle slimline could be hard to hold. Nice job on the diagonal cut colorwood, those are tough! You didn't say what the finish was so they could wear out in an hour or two years. If I wasn't a hippy, well...who knows!
If by "knuckle" you mean the pen with the grooves, most people and me have found it really comfortable to hold. I used PSI's shellawax, which you already know is a friction polish
Old 10-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 302

Sharp stuff. Welcome aboard.
Home of the Jack Daniels Whiskey Wood Blanks.
jimm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomanyouahippie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
If by "knuckle" you mean the pen with the grooves, most people and me have found it really comfortable to hold. I used PSI's shellawax, which you already know is a friction polish
Great start. The shellawax will QUICKLY wear off, especially on the "high spots". The "knuckles" will get the most contact and will become dull and dirty quickly when used. There are many other finishes that are better, you would be best to graduate to one soon if selling is a goal.(you do not want to sell something that does not have its best chance and holding up to use. Pricing is as Smitty said, too many variables to really tell you without considerably more info. This is of course my opinion, yours and others may differ.

Landon
Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Great looking pens. The slimlines are supposed to be the most difficult of pens to turn. You seem to have them well mastered. Your not far from moving onto the cigar, sierra and other pen kits.

keithkarl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

The diamondwood slims really don't need much of a finish, that "wood" is pretty "plasticky" so it will hold a shine.

I sold LOTS of them between $18 and $28---YMMV!

Have fun!!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Nice looking batch but I only see 10 pens. A CA finish will just about hold up forever. I found when doing a shelawax finish it is best to do several coats and let it sit overnight to harden some. Shape wise they look pretty good. I'm glad you avoided the fat pen being squeezed at the waist by the centerband look. If you don't know what I mean by that you will know it when you see it. Also definitely keep your first pen.
Displaced Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads