Rat nuts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Displaced Canadian

I was sent a pair of "Rat nuts" from that guy in Wales ( thanks Steve) a while ago. I won't say how long it took to make a completed pen with them but I had 3 feet of redheart now I have none. The inlay is done with maple veneer which was very prone to tear out, next time I will orient the grain the other way and see how it does. These were a lot of fun and I see a lot of experimenting with them in the future. All comments welcome my next step is to start to improve my photography skills.

Attachments

• Waves.JPG
    Waves.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 780
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nicely done Chris !!!:biggrin: Don't you just hate it when your 'hard earned inlay' sort of just dissapears as you turn it down??:frown::biggrin:.
I have previously joined on 'sacrificial' lengths to my blank just so I can increase the inlay angle without fear of the blade hitting the 'nuts'
What did you use? They look sharp enough to have been done on the table saw.

The pen looks cool and the inlays well match the CB of the pen too.:wink:

Cuts are done on a table saw, The inlay does shrink, actually it happily flies off the blank like corn through a goose :eek: If the inlay looks too big it should be about the right size when turned to size. I may turn the next one closer to size before cutting in the inlays.

Top Bottom