Rarest wood from Rarest Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is huanghuali from Dave Lee (rarest woods). A magnificent wood to work and a beautiful timber to finish.

Thanks to all who look and particularly those who offer comments.

Last edited:

rdunn12

Very beautiful pen.Awesome looking wood.

worship-IAP.gif

workinforwood

Very nice Lou. Never even heard of it before, but the color is very nice and warm and it's a great kit choice! Did a piece of finish chip off the post, and is it a bit proud of the centerband?

diamundgem

Have any of you heard of "Kauri" wood? It's carbon dated to be 50,000 years old (expensive) I bought a piece and it's sorta like light walnut Comes from the peat moss swamps of upper New Zealand

TowMater

Nice wood, I agree with the others though appears proud of the centerband.

If this wood is truelly that rare I think I would return it to match the centerband and fix the finish where the CA lifted.

Skye

Yeah, I was thinking it was lifting near the foot.

Nice wood, but kinda reminds me of cocobolo.

marcruby

The tree actually is a rosewood. Depending on the grain and color it can be very hard to tell it from cocobolo. It's a bit yellower, although the wood in this pen doesn't show it.

Marc

Yeah, I was thinking it was lifting near the foot.

Nice wood, but kinda reminds me of cocobolo.

Last edited:

marcruby

Unlikely that you or I will ever get to sneeze at it. Other than a very small trickle from Viet Nam and bits from broken furniture there isn't any to be had. I think export of it from China is illegal. Not sure, though.

Marc

Hmmm... wonder if I'd be allergic to it as well?

Rarest wood

The timber was from here!

You can contact myself rarest wood here
Tzutan.com
although this site is primarily for the highend classical chinese furniture restoration I do have some pens blank sizes in Huanghuali, Zitan Jichimu and Nanmu
the front page showns a close up of a Tzutan log will post some more photos of the rare wood soon

Love the pen beautiful timber
interesting how Huanghuali is compared to Cocobolo, Kingwood and the like I find it varies a lot even over a small board and can be dark or light.

Brandon25

Lou, very pretty pen, but I have to agree that it looks like cocobolo, and if you were trying to get proportionally higher prices for the pen, a buyer might have to be "into that sorta thing", and believe you about its worth.
Just saying I'd be too scared to invest from a maker's standpoint, and likely from an ignorant buyer's standpoint unless I knew you personally, since to most you might be just "the guy at the booth."

OKLAHOMAN

First, Lou that's some nice timber.

Lou, very pretty pen, but I have to agree that it looks like cocobolo, and if you were trying to get proportionally higher prices for the pen, a buyer might have to be "into that sorta thing", and believe you about its worth.
Just saying I'd be too scared to invest from a maker's standpoint, and likely from an ignorant buyer's standpoint unless I knew you personally, since to most you might be just "the guy at the booth.
Brandon you have a good point but easy to overcome. On rare woods-Bakelites-etc or even unusual blanks a quick trip to the internet for info on the object then print a "catalog" or info sheet and now you have somewhere to start your "sales pitch". Just my way and not right for all.

"

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Just saying I'd be too scared to invest from a maker's standpoint, and likely from an ignorant buyer's standpoint unless I knew you personally, since to most you might be just "the guy at the booth."

Fortunately, Brandon, I'm not just the guy in the booth. I've spent the better part of four years establishing a presence on the internet. Four years in internet time is a lifetime in "brick and mortar" time. I sell a large number of pens from $200 - $750 each year to folks who have either already purchased from me, who know someone who has or who believe longevity tells you something about a business.

marcruby

I'm a little curious about what you mean by 'web presence.' I have a dickens of a time finding your site using Google. Or would if I didn't know its name. I assume you mean that there are a lot of people who know your site address, but am willing to be corrected. After all, someday I'll want to create a site of my own once I can devote full time to turning and I'd like to get it right.

Marc

OKLAHOMAN

Marc, you had me curious also so I googled wood pens and his site was #10 out of 739,000.wood pens, handcrafted, heritage fine writing instruments by ...

Heritage Pens is home to the finest custom, handcrafted wood pens available today. (See our Testimonials!) Our fine writing instruments are also available ...
www.heritagepens.com/ - 16k - Cached -
I'm a little curious about what you mean by 'web presence.' I have a dickens of a time finding your site using Google. Or would if I didn't know its name. I assume you mean that there are a lot of people who know your site address, but am willing to be corrected. After all, someday I'll want to create a site of my own once I can devote full time to turning and I'd like to get it right.

Marc

marcruby

Marc, you had me curious also so I googled wood pens...

Ah there he is. He also shows up under fine writing instruments, and first under handcrafted pens which which I just thought of - I tried wooden pens, custom pens and handmade pens and got nowhere.

Thanks,

Marc

And I just tried wood pens and he wasn't there again. It seems to fluctuate based on what you try first. When I start with wooden pens and then try wood pens he has disappeared. Figure that out!

Last edited:

Rarest wood

Is there any Huanghuali on ebay:confused: I perused the offerings and saw a load of fake stuff from china it is better to go to a reputable auction house to see the real thing try the Christies site or even Sotherbys as a restorer of chinese classical furniture I can say that if you had a piece of Huanghuali furniture why would you put it on ebay??? look at this link for the real stuff http://www.christies.co.uk/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5112607
ille take some photos of some of my peices to show what the real stuff looks like soon.

Brandon25

Fortunately, Brandon, I'm not just the guy in the booth. I've spent the better part of four years establishing a presence on the internet. Four years in internet time is a lifetime in "brick and mortar" time. I sell a large number of pens from $200 - $750 each year to folks who have either already purchased from me, who know someone who has or who believe longevity tells you something about a business.

Well there you go then! I'm very glad you have customers that can appreciate what you've got to offer. I think we can all strive for that. :)

Top Bottom