Rappahannock River Crib Dam Oak Perfect Fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from les-smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

This is my most recent Perfect Fit. Made from Rappahannock River Crib Dam Oak. This pen makes me want to make more Perfect Fits.

20071028164220_Crib%20Dam%20Perfect3%20Fit.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

I've turned two pens out of the oak and they both came out really dark. That's why I like the oak so much. I used a plain CA finish nothing else.

There is more wood out there. The Friends Of The Rappahannock river group has all of the reclaimed wood. They are selling it. I got a hold of the guy they have selling the wood via the phone, but he won't return e-mails. I think I need to call again. He said he would ship small amounts.

http://www.riverfriends.org/Default.aspx?tabid=96
http://www.riverfriends.org/

Also, Historical Woods of America will sell the wood as well. Pen blanks are $10.00 a pop.

http://www.historicalwoods.com/index.html

From my experience your better off finding someone you know that lives close by and have them pick some up and ship it to you.

Thanks for the good comments. I've got to get a better light tent setup. I think I need better lights.

Draken

Great looking pen! $10 a blank? Man, I should have charged more for that wood when I was selling it. [}:)] Radman, are you sure you got the oak? Most of what I sold was the Pine, but all of the oak was from a single board and all of it would have been about the came color as the one shown here. The pine comes out lighter, but not as light as pine from say the BORG.

I'm surprised to hear FOR has some of the wood left. Their original plan was to clearance out the wood to a flooring wholesaler who makes specialty flooring for period homes, I thought that already happened, guess the plan changed. The few pieces of this stuff that I have left won't make a full blank, so they will one day get the "worthless wood" treatment, once I get some time.

les-smith

Hey James, You probably should have charged more. I'm glad you didn't though.[:)] As many blades as you went through cutting this stuff up no one would have blamed you.

I called the guy selling the wood about 4 weeks ago. I hadn't heard they were clearancing it. I better call him back because I would really like some more of this stuff. It's by far my favorite stuff to work with at the moment.

VisExp

I saw an episode of New Yankee Workshop where Norm used some wood reclaimed from a river dam. It was also very dark, a greyish black. If memory serves me well he also got his stock from The Friends Of The Rappahannock river group.

Rmartin

I have 18 pine and 12 blue oak with certificates. I've only made 3 or 4 of the lots that I bought so far. The ones I made were not dark at all. Blue in color actually. I have one posted in my gallery, I think. I might be willing to part with a few. Maybe some kind of trade?

Rmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom