Random segmented Vertex click by Chrissy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

Chrissy's latest creation. Random segmenting with Peruvian walnut, ivory, purple heart and aluminum flashing.

Gunmetal Vertex Click

She's getting really good at segmenting. Now if I could get her to wear gloves more often so she doesn't constantly glue her fingers together or to the blanks :eek::biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0091_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0091_1 (Custom).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0092_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0092_1 (Custom).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0093_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0093_1 (Custom).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0094_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0094_1 (Custom).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 217
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I do have to say though, with all of the metal she's been putting into the blanks lately we had to go buy a new set of drill bits over the weekend. The brad point bits were exploding blanks like crazy. Needed to go back to good old fashioned twist bits.

hewunch

I do have to say though, with all of the metal she's been putting into the blanks lately we had to go buy a new set of drill bits over the weekend. The brad point bits were exploding blanks like crazy. Needed to go back to good old fashioned twist bits.

Something else she learned from the class :)

Carl Fisher

Yeah, I suggested that to her and her response was that she doesn't have enough experience to do a demo. Don't believe her for a moment, she's just being modest.

Carl Fisher

Here is another that she was working on in parallel to the first one. I came home tonight and found that she had finished the glue up, squared it, turned it, and was starting the finish process.

She did the CA finish this time. I only answered questions. I'm slowly loosing controlling stake in my own shop :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0098_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0098_1 (Custom).jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0099_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0099_1 (Custom).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0100_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0100_1 (Custom).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0101_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0101_1 (Custom).jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 98
Carl (and spouse) - Another real nice pen. I'm curious, though. I've never done segmenting. How much time (combined total for you and your wife) do you think you have in a pen like that? When I'm doing a wood Vertex, I figure somewhere around an hour and a half (includes blank prep, turning, finishing and assembly).

Carl Fisher

For these 2 pens, she probably spent around an hour, maybe a bit more for each additional to layout, cut and glue. This doesn't account for the time that the blank spends in the clamp while the glue cures to pull all the joints as tight as possible.

Figure a little extra time during drilling and turning as well to not blow everything apart. So maybe 2 to 2.5 hours total of actual working time from raw materials to finished pen on each of these if you remove the glue-up time.

I think these each required 2 glue-up sessions in the clamps. Basically segmenting your segmented blank.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

She started segmenting with just simple end cuts and gluing different woods together with wood glue. Then moved into adding accent pieces between the woods. Then on to knots and scallops. Now anything goes it seems.

Start easy to get a feel for it and then just build on that foundation. It's really not that intimidating once you jump in. We're still learning as we go. I can almost predict which blanks will give us trouble and/or blow apart. Several I've had to re-assemble the pieces mid turning :eek: But it's all part of the fun. Wouldn't be worth doing if it was too easy.

As for my time, on the 2nd one I have about 5 minutes worth of answering questions and just watching. Otherwise I had nothing to do with it. The first one I only did the finish so about 20 minutes of my time.

Last edited:

Robert111

Gotta Ask

Carl, what kind of glue and what thickness of aluminum?

I've segmented with aluminum and brass, but I have a couple or three glue joint failures on the way to a finished pen. Most of mine end up taking 4 to 6 hours. I make them because I like them so much, not because I can make money on the.

Of course, absolutely beautiful pens!

Carl Fisher

She has decided that segmenting so far is what she enjoys the most. The creative freedom to her adds to an otherwise mundane task of drill, turn, assemble.

Thick CA typically does the trick. We've had more than our share of explosions and have learned that certain sounds and feel during turning usually alert you before it happens. Stopping to flood the blank in thin CA and add clamps if necessary to pull it back tight if you've had a partial separation.

For direct wood-to-wood I like titebond wood glue. Just takes longer before you can turn it. I'm also not counting glue drying time in that time estimate above.

We've also been able to repair many of the blowouts as usually the failure happens between the metal and wood. Just clean the old glue out of the joint, sand again and re-glue.

On the metal segments, you have to make sure that you file the edges to remove all the burrs, or cut it big enough to keep the edges clear, and give it a good sanding to get any coatings or oils off the metal before gluing.

These pens were done with flashing from one of the big box stores, but we also use thicker metals from the craft stores on other pens. If we wanted thinner, a soda can would do the trick.

Robert111

She has decided that segmenting so far is what she enjoys the most. The creative freedom to her adds to an otherwise mundane task of drill, turn, assemble.

Thick CA typically does the trick. We've had more than our share of explosions and have learned that certain sounds and feel during turning usually alert you before it happens. Stopping to flood the blank in thin CA and add clamps if necessary to pull it back tight if you've had a partial separation.

For direct wood-to-wood I like titebond wood glue. Just takes longer before you can turn it. I'm also not counting glue drying time in that time estimate above.

We've also been able to repair many of the blowouts as usually the failure happens between the metal and wood. Just clean the old glue out of the joint, sand again and re-glue.

On the metal segments, you have to make sure that you file the edges to remove all the burrs, or cut it big enough to keep the edges clear, and give it a good sanding to get any coatings or oils off the metal before gluing.

These pens were done with flashing from one of the big box stores, but we also use thicker metals from the craft stores on other pens. If we wanted thinner, a soda can would do the trick.

Many thanks, Carl!

Roy_Quast

Carl..... if she is exploding blanks like crazy, check out this toturial I wrote a while back and she will never blow up a blank again no mater what kind of drill bit she uses.

Roy

Brass & Ebony II - A Penturner's Paradise

Thanks, Carl. I'm beginning to think that I'm going to want to do something a bit more "challenging" regarding pens fairly soon. Maybe segmenting will be it. I'm still a kit guy but some of the segmenting and scalloping work I see (like yours) is just amazing. It's kind of like "Hey - that's what I want to do when I grow up". Thanks for setting a high standard!

Top Bottom