Rainbow Dyed One Piece Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mick

mick

OK changed out the picture ....these are better!
Here's one I tried today.
Curly Maple with food coloring, CA finish.
I need a little practice on proportioning the colors but I was satisfied for a first try. The top part is Blue but I don't think the picture reflects that, at least on my monitor.
All comments welcome.

Attachments

• Dyed rainbow3.jpg
    Dyed rainbow3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Dyed rainbow2.jpg
    Dyed rainbow2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

That's really cool. The guitar player in me would love to see a maple pen done in a nice tobacco sunburst or cherry sunburst. I may have to try this. Well done!

Rick_G

Top colour shows as blue here. First picture shows the bottom colour going from red to a dark purple but the second picture shows light red to a darker red which is likely closer to the real thing. The blue does show up in the pictures and the pen looks great.

mick

Curse you Mick - there's another idea of yours I'll have to steal^H^H^H^H^H, er, be inspired by!! :mad: :frown: :rolleyes: :tongue: :biggrin:

That's ok Steve, stealing is the sincerest form of flattery. But just remember, I'll be back to Wood Craft one day.....

nava1uni

wonderful! what method did you use for dying?

Thanks for all the kind comments! Anthony I used Gel food coloring applied and blended while the the blank was spinning on the lathe.

Your pen is really, really nice. I like the way that the colors meld together from one to another. I have used food coloring for dying and really like how it works. Where did you get Gel food coloring, I have never seen it before.

mick

Cindy, it came from Hobby Lobby. It's called AmeriColor and I found it in the cake making section. Below is a copy of a post by Alton. Hope this helps!

AmeriColor! Soft Gel Paste coloring in a bottle
Makes coloring a breeze. Easy to use and no mess! by a company based on the old-fashioned principles of premium quality and superior service.
Sugarcraft is proud to introduce you to the strongest and most vibrant colors on the market.
AmeriColor™ is dedicated to quality products and customer satisfaction.
All colors are US Certified by the FDA.
All of the ingredients used are of the highest quality and give AmeriColor™ customers long-lasting vibrant colors every time.
Available in Avocado, Super Black, Chocolate Brown, Warm Brown, Sky Blue, Royal Blue, Navy Blue, Burgundy, (flesh tone), Gold (golden), Fuchsia, Leaf Green, Forest Green, Mint Green, Ivory, Maroon, Mauve, Orange, Peach, Deep Pink, Soft Pink, Regal Purple, Red Red, Super Red, Christmas Red, Tulip Red, Holiday Red, Dusty Rose, Terra-cotta, Turquoise, Teal, Violet, Egg Yellow, Lemon Yellow
Ingredients: water, sugar, may contain one of the following US certified color red 40, red 2, yellow 5 blue 1 & 2, or titanium dioxide, modified corn starch, vegetable gum, citric acid and less than 1/10 of 1% sodiumbenzoate, and potassium sorbate as preservatives.
Kosher Certificate - Color Chart
AmeriColor 3/4 oz $1.39 ea. squeeze bottle with flip top cap

Top Bottom