Rain Dance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

This is a new concept design I have been working on. It is supposed to be rain falling all the way around the pen and at the bottom the rain enters into the pen with a little splash. When I look at it, it definitely does what I say it does, but the colors suck. The blue might be ok, but not with the stormy grey sky swirling around it. I definitely have to come up with a new color scheme because I have enough blue rain drops to run at least 4 jr kits. So if anyone has any good suggestions to go with the blue, that would be great, and then if anyone has any completely different colors for the whole thing, like silver rain in a blue backdrop or black rain over white..that would be great to hear what ya'll think about that too. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Attachments

• raindance1.jpg
    raindance1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 443
  • raindance2.jpg
    raindance2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Not sure I have any good color suggestions- I did scroll through a pantone color chart to see if anything jumped out at me, but nothing really seemed to scream "this is the right color!". I am curious what pen kit this is? I like it a lot. And I do like the colors on this one too, and I'm amazed at how you got the bottom to look like the rain is indeed dropping into the pen. I can't even begin to fathom how that is done, sio I'm just going to not rack my brain even trying to figure it out and just admire it.

Mark

I believe the pen is a one piece Cigar style pen. I haven't ever seen a finial like that, but maybe Jeff will share his source.

ldb2000

Good looking modified cigar pen Jeff . How about a Black pearl with the blue raindrops . The pearl swirls in the Black resin would still look like storm clouds but wouldn't over power the blue rain drops .
I do believe the finial is something he made .

David Keller

Interesting idea. For me, the black seems out of place. I would think a couple of light shades of blue with pearl would give enough contrast for the raindrops and still give the feeling of water. I don't do casting, so it may be a terrible idea.

broitblat

Jeff,

I think it looks pretty good just the way it is -- I like it. If you don't like the colors, however, I'd suggest dulling down the grey a bit (maybe replace the black with more grey), darken the white a bit, and look for a slightly more vibrant blue to increase the contrast.

-Barry

workinforwood

This is a cigar kit pen, yes. I just modified the kit a bit and the finial is the twist activator. I was going to build a new nib too, but didn't want to put that much time into it because the colors in the pen were not doing it for me. I thought light blue would be good for rain..I know clear would be optimal, but there's too much that can go wrong with that idea. The splash is just done with a rotary tool by hand. I think I will pour the 4 I have in the shop with just plain bright sparkly white. I think the swirls are even worse than the colors, if it's just white then it should make the pen more obvious.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice mod on the pen. Had me scratching my head for a while as to what it was. The blank has some great possibilities as well. I'm sure you will get it right.

Top Bottom