A rack of almosts, maybes and @&$%'s!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlkuehn

Banned
Well, it's been a rough week for me and turning pens. Seems like everything that could've gone wrong did, mixed up bushings, wrong sized tenons, muffed finishes, over/under turned, you name it, I screwed it up.

I was able to get a passable rack out of it, though.

Listed from left to right:

1. Berea flat top American upgrade gold fountain (Bear Tooth) with Chatke Kok and my very first CA/BLO finish (at least the first one that anyone will ever see). I learned a ton about CA/BLO on this one - list anyone?
* When you put on too much BLO and then quick-like try to compensate by putting on a whole bunch of CA, you get to spend the day with a paper towel armored index finger.
* The best way to gauge how well you managed to get the CA:BLO ratio mixed is by using a dial caliper to measure the blister on your finger. That chemical reaction gets darn hot! I learned quickly to sixteenthle fold the paper towel.
* Olive oil is not a good substitute for BLO.
* It is possible to completely laminate a pen blank with an entire blue nitrile rubber glove while you're wearing it. Er, at least while you were wearing it.

2. Berea Euro in black chrome (Bear Tooth) with red palm and Mylands 3-step. Blew the finish on this one. It now lives in the 'seconds' drawer.

3. Berea Euro in black chrome (Bear Tooth) with Russian olive wood and Minwax lacquer; dyed olive green with sunset gold pearl mica in the first coat. Took me all week, and I muffed the bushing on the cap side CB, way under-turned. I think I can sell it, however. I took the sharp edge off the tenon corner and managed to save the finish.

4. Slimline in silver (Woodturningz) with Michigan black ash burl and CA; dyed maroon and holes filled. Big crack near clip plug. Another one for the seconds drawer.

5. Slimline in silver (Woodturningz) with Michigan black ash burl and CA; dyed peacock blue and holes filled. Turned out great.

6. Slimline in bright copper (Woodturningz) with Midnight Express/Black Swirl (Woodturningz); Melted the acrylic near the point, but was able to save it by installing a spare comfort gelly thing. Some scratches in the finish, am going to try swirl and scratch remover.

7. Slimline 'Cross' style in 24kt gold (Woodturningz) with mystery Fritz bonus blank (Woodturningz); Turned out okay.

8. My first Jr. Gentleman's II in plat/gold titanium (CSUSA) with segmented flame box elder and walnut; CA finish. Turned out pretty good, I like the red stripes with the brown and whiter woods.

200781210247_Rack_20070811_1.jpg

20078121037_Rack_20070811_2.jpg

Including a closer look at the flat top and Jr.

200781210323_FountainFlattopChatkeKok1_1.jpg

200781210334_RollerballSegBoxElderWalnut1_1.jpg

I'll try again tomorrow. Going to go selling for the first time on Monday, so I need to build up as much stock as I can because they're going to sell like hotcakes and I'm gonna come home rich!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocRon

Originally posted by karlkuehn
* It is possible to completely laminate a pen blank with an entire blue nitrile rubber glove while you're wearing it. Er, at least while you were wearing it.

I , er, I mean my friend once did that[:eek:)] Good thing you peristed. Those are some really nice pens.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom