Quilted Chicken Wing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

Chicken wing wood aka Jichimu. Chinese furniture makers use this wood for high end work. Jr Statesman rollerball.
954ab8ae1ecf2a1c6fda8dd8832cd53e.jpg
e79e155df46de333833b837265832c46.jpg
8003f6e357cc1d3aee6592513ec702da.jpg
c6cad718b453a3c86c84c6bc79c54387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Coincidence - I turned the upper blank of a Jr Gent tonight with "Pheasantwood" which is supposedly similar. However, my blank looks very different. Yours looks more like Koa, albet less chatoyance.

I'll post in a few days.

Nice result for a chicken wing!!!

Don Rabchenuk

OK, I'll bite. Why is it called chicken wing wood?

Jichimu, literally translated as 'chicken-wing wood', describes a wood whose deep brown and gray patterns when cut tangentially resemble the patterns of bird feathers. The radial cut appears less dramatically with parallel lines of concentric layered tissue. It is botanically classified in the Ormosia genus of which as many as twenty-six species may grow in China. Jichimu is indigenous to Hainan Island, and the relatively large quantity of jichimu furniture found in Fujian province also corresponds to a source where seven different species are reportedly found today, and whose materials are virtually undifferentiated, yet bear varying leaf patterns. Hongdou (red bean), and xiangsi may also be other names for related species. jichi_1.jpg

OZturner

Glorious Pen Phil,
Incredible Wooden Blank.
With such a Pronounced Grain Running for Specific and then in Every Direction, How was it to Turn?
It Certainly Produced a Fantastic Blank,
And with your Finesse, Fit and Finish, a Real Eye Catcher.
The Jnr. Statesman Hardware Sets it Off Perfectly.
Congratulations,
Brian.

firewhatfire

The wood is actually a pretty dense wood. My initial thought when drilling was it reminded me of Osage or Ironwood. Turned pretty well, not my favorite turn but definitely would do another in I had a 2nd piece.

Glorious Pen Phil,
Incredible Wooden Blank.
With such a Pronounced Grain Running for Specific and then in Every Direction, How was it to Turn?
It Certainly Produced a Fantastic Blank,
And with your Finesse, Fit and Finish, a Real Eye Catcher.
The Jnr. Statesman Hardware Sets it Off Perfectly.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom