Quilted Blanket Experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

Well, I offered this blank out when I sold off all my other indian blankets, and nobody was interested so I decided to take on the challenge myself. I don't have alot of fancy equipment, never made a custom finial or a closed end pen before, never altered a JR Gent II centerband before either..it's all new to me! End result, a Quilted Indian Blanket closed end rollerball finished in straight CA. Sure wish I had a fountain end instead, but I don't and can't afford one, but could offer a trade of something with someone for one!

Anyhow...The cap is longer than a standard cap blank. My thought is that the centerband adds to the length, so I can reduce length by tossing out the centerband all together. Not just pop the rings, but completely remove it. I glued two cap tubes into the blank meeting in the center and then came back and trimmed them. I removed the plastic insert..gosh..I'd never get all this done without all you guy's knowledge and inspiration!!! I popped out the rings as per instructed, but it wasn't really necessary as I think the grinder would have just did if for me. I held the metal insert portion with some needlose plyers and ground off the flare with the side of the grinding wheel; it comes off real fast and easy!

blanketpen005.jpg

I built what my 7yr old daughter calls a "head conker". Just a chunk of wood to install into a chuck...really don't even need that, could mount on a faceplate, I don't see how it even matters! The finial is glued to the end...seems to me those instructions are on the IAP somewhere, although maybe my method is more crude, but works fine in the end. I turned the finial to size, finished it with CA, then did the parting and installed it with a bit of CA into the cap. It's nice..it's endgrain Walnut and looks just like a piece of indian gold all nice and polished..I'm patting myself on the back over this accomplishment as I was sweating pretty good before it all began!

blanketpen007.jpg

blanketpen012.jpg

I spun the cap with Johnny bushings just like any JR Gent cap and finished it with CA.
I drilled the pen to 2 3/4 deep, thank you for the reply on that, and thank you for being correct on the depth!!! The Johnny bushing on one end, I mark center on the other and spin it between centers like spinning a dowel.

blanketpen017.jpg

I pulled the "head conker" back out and re-mounted it. I spun the end out into a dowel that is a perfect straight tight fit into the tube. I installed the pen and parted off the end. Then I sanded out the pen. I removed the pen and shot the dowel jig with the stuff that makes the table saw slippery...this being my theory that I don't want my CA to stick the dowel into the pen! It worked too!!! I applied the finish.

blanketpen018.jpg

blanketpen019.jpg

Finally, I pushed the center band completely into the cap flush to the edge. I installed the rest of the cap and pen parts ..the spring glued into the bottom of the pen so it can't fall out and get lost. I took the pen outside and shot a multitude of pictures with my terrible photo skills and equipment, and selected what I felt where the best one to brag with!

blanketpen024.jpg

blanketpen027.jpg

blanketpen034.jpg

Now finally...here is the pen in the stand to display it's actual size in comparison with a Jr Gent II normal size pen. The cap is only 1/8" longer from the bottom of the clip holder to the centerband end of the pen. The entire pen is 5/8 longer than a standard JR kit.

blanketpen036.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

That's pretty darn cool! Throw some turquoise died box elder maybe, some red, some traditional Native American colors and that thing is going to look even better!

Really like the big finial, not 100% sold on the foot.

OKLAHOMAN

Jeff, Nice job and on the next shipment I send you you will have your Fountain pen nib and feed for that pen.

PaulDoug

Really turned out nice. I thought you said you didn't have fancy equipment but didn't you mention Johnny bushings? Us novices don't have Johnny bushings.

workinforwood

Really turned out nice. I thought you said you didn't have fancy equipment but didn't you mention Johnny bushings? Us novices don't have Johnny bushings.

There you go! but...before I had those bushings, I would use mandrel bushings and spin those on center too, although they weren't as perfect, they did the job with a little hand sanding repair at the fittings that nobody could tell.

Thank you Roy, I owe you big time!

workinforwood

Thanks for the great feedback. Gluing in a spring is easy, I just dip the end in a drop of thick CA then carefully drop it down the hole. I always beat my kids at the game of operation. I bounce it about into position and when it's in the right spot I just shoot some accelerator down the hole while not smoking a cigarette. :)

Darley

Jeff well done for your pen very nice but I do have a little comment you should give a 1/4 turn left or right for the clip like that it will not shade the blanket, again nice pen, thanks to showing us

mobrackett

Great Job!!! I Truly loved the education. It's turners like you that give me the ability to do the things that I'm doing. Thank You. Truly a work of art. Great Job!!!

workinforwood

Thanks guys, but it's not me that gives you the ability, it's all the great people here that inspire me to try new things in different ways that I might not ever have considered before. You guys are the champions!

And for the clip...well, the blanket shows on both sides of the pen. The first few blankets I ever did, I put the clip to the side, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Obviously it's personal preference. You turn the pen around you get a perfect view of the blanket. When it's clipped in a pocket, you get a glimpse or teaser that there's something going on with this pen. In real life, there isn't hardly a shadow cast over the blanket with the clip over it either..I can see it quite clearly, where as when clip is turned..it just seems off balance to me. Eventually I'll come back to this blanket concept and play more with it, but I have to go off and do some other stuff now. You could probably spend your whole life making the same pen with a slightly different variation and never complete every possibility.

Top Bottom