Quilted Afzilia Xylay Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darrin

Darrin

Made this one this morning. This is the 4th pen I've used CA as my finish and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it! :)

Attachments

• AfziliaXylayBaron.jpg
    AfziliaXylayBaron.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 328
  • AfziliaXylayBaron2IAP.jpg
    AfziliaXylayBaron2IAP.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 235
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayno

great pen

Hey Darrin, if you get a chance to turn any more Afzalia this species is my favorite to turn, the burl is great as well. Great job!

Darrin

Thanks guys, it was a blast to make....still gotta work out some kinks to the CA finish as I would like it to be much more glossy...but hey, it's a start. Thanks again for all the kind words!!

akbar24601

....still gotta work out some kinks to the CA finish as I would like it to be much more glossy...but hey, it's a start.
Hey Darrin, Not sure what you are doing for sanding on your CA finish, but I know that when I started doing it, sometimes I would oversand and end up with kind of a matt/gloss type finish. From there I started either hitting it with 00000 steel wool and then MM, now I just mostly go straight to MM. Also, you can use a fine scratch remover after MM, I know that NuFinish and MaGuires makes one and they can be purchased at any auto parts store.

Darrin

Basically, I sand the wood to 800grit, then apply 3-4 coats of thin CA, making sure the coats are smooth each time, if not I hit with 400 grit then add another coat of CA. After my final coat of CA, I start with 400 grit then 600 then 800 then go to Micro mesh from 2400 to 12000. Finish that off with some friction polish and thats how I have come to do it.

akbar24601

Basically, I sand the wood to 800grit, then apply 3-4 coats of thin CA, making sure the coats are smooth each time, if not I hit with 400 grit then add another coat of CA. After my final coat of CA, I start with 400 grit then 600 then 800 then go to Micro mesh from 2400 to 12000. Finish that off with some friction polish and thats how I have come to do it.
I'm no expert, but you may be overdoing it with all of that sandpaper. There may not be enough of a coat left by the time you are MMing to give you the lustrous shine.

Top Bottom