Quick Toolbox 'pen' - spanner clip added

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Warning!!! This is a quick and ugly pen:biggrin:
Every now and then I get a crazy urge to go back and make a pen from a bolt or two. I used a lathe to drill the holes for the refill, but the rest was done with several sheets of sandpaper. I have no fingerprints left.:biggrin:

Made with two 8mm nuts and two 8mm bolts (stainless of course:tongue:) and a bit of PR. The PR is a bit more 'Pearly Brown' than the pics suggest.

Just a bit of fun really.:rolleyes:

Edit; Just knocked up a little spanner clip for it.

Attachments

• ToolBox1.jpg
    ToolBox1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 334
  • ToolBox2.jpg
    ToolBox2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 360
  • ToolBox3.jpg
    ToolBox3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 332
  • ToolBoxSpanner1.jpg
    ToolBoxSpanner1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 216
  • ToolBoxSpanner.jpg
    ToolBoxSpanner.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbeyer

Wow!!! That's amazing...

Would you be able to make a tutorial?

That is really something beautiful

alphageek

Former Moderator
Holy cow that is cool! I can ALMOST picture trying that myself. The nib section throws me a bit as I'm trying to picture to do that w/o a metal lathe.. but that really rocks!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dean, you really don't need a metal lathe for something so basic. If your wood lathe is aligned true enough for drilling, then you are good to go. The pointy bit at the front was done with files.
I'm not sure how close 8mm is to Imperial, but there isn't much left in the threaded section once the hole is drilled. Look at the first two pics and you can see what I mean. I used a 5.9mm drill for the refill. If it was a rollerball refill then it would have been too big as I think the smallest you can use is around 6 point something. I use a 2.6mm for the tip of the refill.

Making sure the hex flats are aligned once the cap is on is easy. Just try a couple of nuts on the same bit of thread different ways around till you find the combo that mates nicely. :biggrin:

CaptG

So Skippy, where is this ugly pen you are talking about?? All I see is one very sharp looking pen. The kind we have learned to expect from the bolt master.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Dean, you really don't need a metal lathe for something so basic. If your wood lathe is aligned true enough for drilling, then you are good to go. The pointy bit at the front was done with files.
I'm not sure how close 8mm is to Imperial, but there isn't much left in the threaded section once the hole is drilled. Look at the first two pics and you can see what I mean. I used a 5.9mm drill for the refill. If it was a rollerball refill then it would have been too big as I think the smallest you can use is around 6 point something. I use a 2.6mm for the tip of the refill.

Making sure the hex flats are aligned once the cap is on is easy. Just try a couple of nuts on the same bit of thread different ways around till you find the combo that mates nicely. :biggrin:

Thanks!! I can almost guarantee that you have given me enough info to try my first kitless at some point!! I'm not sure that I'm there yet, but when I am this is going to be my starting point!!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

RAdams

Banned
Skiprat,

That is an absolutely awesome idea! Doesn't get much simpler than that for a kitless pen does it? I mean even if you cant cut threads, you could make one of these pens!!! Thanks for posting this, and all the other pieces you do! You really are an artist!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Many thanks for the kind comments. Just made a good day better:biggrin:
(it's my birthday but don't tell anyone. Got some cool toys to play with)

Just added a little spanner clip to it. It's fixed on with a SS Hammer Rivet:biggrin:

RAdams

Banned
the clip sends it over the top! I can tell you of several mechanics that would flip out over such an ink pen! I hope you dont mind, but i plan to attempt to copy this design! that os so freaking cool.

Mark

I showed my wife the pix. She wants to try making one. BTW: shhhh, Happy Birthday.

Last edited:

SonOfMartin

I'd love to see a tutorial. You've incorporated some ideas that I'd like to borrow. The flat sides of the pen body and the spanner clip are just screaming out to me, but alas, I have the imagination of a mere mortal....

Top Bottom