A quick threaded pen for fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
This is just a quick pen made with two M12 copper studs and a bit of M10 stainless all-thread. Just for fun:biggrin: It just took a couple of hours. The hardest part is threading the inside of the copper. There isn't a lot of meat left between the internal major threads and the external minor threads. If fact, I relied on the copper stretching a little as I tapped it, to stop it tearing through.
I wrecked one piece...:frown:

Anyway, here it is. The threads are sanded down to make it more comfortable to hold. Kinda fun, hope you like it too. :biggrin:

I just added the last pic, cos it kind of goes with the thread theme..it's a puzzle that I made a few years ago.....:)

Attachments

• DSCF2788.JPG
    DSCF2788.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCF2797.JPG
    DSCF2797.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 464
  • DSCF2799.JPG
    DSCF2799.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCF2801.JPG
    DSCF2801.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 495
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hubert H

Unique - now I can't wait to see what your mind/hands will come up with next. Do you ever think of something that you haven't been able to make? I always enjoy seeing your work.

ossaguy

It's always a treat to see what you come up with......and that's a super cool pen!

That puzzle is too.Could you show us more of that too?

Steve

Charlie_W

Skip,
You really screwed up this pen!:eek::biggrin:
Definitely a new twist and unique as well!
Would you use a left handed thread for a Lefty pen?

Did anyone else think this pen is groovy?:rolleyes:

SteveG

SUPER "FUN" thing you did there. My attention went first to the Macro impression...over all look and design, which is cool. Then I noticed the detail of how the writing nib followed the angle of the refill point. And of course the visible copper threads appear to have an unflawed flow from the cap to the body. It is your attention to small details like that which contribute to your consistent design successes. Nice!

bobleibo

You guys with those fancy machines, the skill to use them and the vision to dream up these beautiful works of art sure make us mere mortals jealous~
Cheers
Bob

jttheclockman

Hey Skip as usual your talents ring loud and clear. Your love affair for nuts and bolts can be deep seated and you may need some help. But in the mean time keep up the great work. Now the pen is great bla,bla,bla,bla but to me the piece of art here is the prop the pen is sitting on. Now that is thinking outside the box also. I love the concept. Imaging trying to screw that nut on?????:):):) That my friend is true art. When I am able to get back into my shop I may have to try that in wood form. Make for a great conversation piece. Hope you don't mind.

Super talent, man. Goes in the WOW pile.

Last edited:

bluwolf

As usual, very slick Skip! The proportions and visual balance are terrific. And yes, the stand is an excellent compliment to the pen.

Mike

jttheclockman

Shouldn't you put a nut or two on it? I would play with that all day long.

That pen sure could be a good stress reliever. I get people who buy my nut and bolt desk clocks and they have come back to me and told me they enjoy screwing the nut on and off the bolt and it is soothing to the mind. As weird as it may sound there probably some truth to it.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey John, that is great !!! I don't remember you showing us these before....what else are you keeping from us, huh??:cool:

jttheclockman

Hey John, that is great !!! I don't remember you showing us these before....what else are you keeping from us, huh??:cool:

So it is true, you have me on your ignore list:):):) Shown those many times. My first love is not pen making by any means. I am a scroller from many years ago. I dabble in all sorts of woodworking. Pen making came along about 10 years ago.

Skip

I make over 1000 different items ( I keep making the ones that sell the best) These are some old photos but you get the jist.

Those baskets are my biggest seller by far.

Now that I muddied up your beautiful pen posting. I will leave. Just wanted to post that threaded nut and bolt because it is a stress reliever. I did make a clock that had 2 bolts and looked like a grape press. But of course it had a clock in it. No photo sorry. If i had to take pictures of everything I made, I could be there for quite some time. Back in the day the only reason I took pictures was to send to customers. Now everything we do in life there has to be photos. :) That is why they invented facebook.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, I have seen several pieces of your work but never knew the extent. :eek:
Apologies if I've missed it. :redface:

I don't 'do' twitface or 'booker' and these days, this is the only site I visit. :rolleyes:
I can't understand the logic of posting the same stuff to the same people but on different sites. I really liked the Ozzie site, but I felt odd replying again to the same thread. I started here and one day I'll stop here.:biggrin:

jttheclockman

John, I have seen several pieces of your work but never knew the extent. :eek:
Apologies if I've missed it. :redface:

I don't 'do' twitface or 'booker' and these days, this is the only site I visit. :rolleyes:
I can't understand the logic of posting the same stuff to the same people but on different sites. I really liked the Ozzie site, but I felt odd replying again to the same thread. I started here and one day I'll stop here.:biggrin:

Skip

No need for apologies around me sir. I am sorry I muddled up your post about your fine looking pen. Weather anyone sees or even takes the time to look at anything I make is fine by me. :biggrin:

As far as sites go, this is probably the most recognized. I don't Twit either and FB is a joke. All that is about selling blanks. Can't stand it any more. Every other post someone is making a simple blank and next thing they are selling them. I think and I have said this before, that I could probably become a millionaire selling blanks. :):):)

vakmere

Very clever. Artistic industrial. How much for something like this or will you keep it?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very clever. Artistic industrial. How much for something like this or will you keep it?

I don't see pens. This just a recreational hobby for me. When I kick the bucket, my wife can flog all my stuff to pay for the party...:biggrin:

jttheclockman

I don't see pens. This just a recreational hobby for me. When I kick the bucket, my wife can flog all my stuff to pay for the party...:biggrin:

Not bad for a blind guy:)

If I were you Skip I would tell the wife that she keeps this web site handy. She would be able to unload your pens for a pretty penny here:) I too have left instructions that this would be the place to sell off my pen making wares here. I am leaving that task to my brother and instructed him to do so. :)

Top Bottom