A quick little Chicago rollerball in Red Gum Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

I can see that these will earn a spot in our lineup. It's small but surprisingly just the right size when posted. No fancy segmenting or anything on this one since it was a first time with the kit.

Red Gum Burl body with CA finish

Attachments

• IMG_1133_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1133_1 (Custom).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1137_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1137_1 (Custom).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1140_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1140_1 (Custom).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1141_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1141_1 (Custom).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Thanks.

Fit is a little tall on the writing end but just about spot-on on the finial side. I was TBC and must have missed my measurement somehow so I'll probably knock it apart and take that last .05 down just to flush it up.

I was surprised that I like the finished product of this kit as much as I do.

Jjartwood

Good looking pen,how is the balance and feel when the cap is posted for writing?
I've been considering this kit for a slimline replacement in my show line up.
It's a well priced kit and as you have shown it has some eye candy.
Thanks
Mark

My favorite customers have more dollars than sense

Carl Fisher

For an apprentice line kit from them, it's actually pretty stout. When posted, it's still shorter overall than a slimline. I can't say for sure that the ballpoint twist version is the same length, but I imagine it is. But it's a thicker pen than a slim or trim/comfort line so to my hands it's more comfortable.

I haven't done any lengthy writing sessions with it, so not sure on the fatigue factor with the shape of the tip end and I forgot to bring it to work today so I'll have to follow up on that. The only thing I can say is that they are on sale right now and grab a few of each type to try them out. I have a few Manhattan click pens lined up to turn as well to get an impression of those.

About half way through drilling I had a thought to do it as a closed end but realized that with that short length, you need the postable cap to make it long enough to write with. I may try a closed end version with a longer body and keep that kit cap.

Also they take a shorty style refill, so be prepared to offer refills to your customers since they are likely not available at the local office supply store.

Last edited:

Jjartwood

Thanks Carl,
The wheels are turning,if it's stretched long enough to take a better refill there may be some future for this beauty,In my show lineup the twist and clicks are pretty much overlooked so I'm looking for the less expensive "custom looking"pen kit
Mark

plano_harry

Carl, that is a great looking pen. My concern with this style was the convex tip section. I thought it would feel strange. Let us know after you get some time one it.

Harry

For an apprentice line kit from them, it's actually pretty stout. When posted, it's still shorter overall than a slimline. I can't say for sure that the ballpoint twist version is the same length, but I imagine it is. But it's a thicker pen than a slim or trim/comfort line so to my hands it's more comfortable.

I haven't done any lengthy writing sessions with it, so not sure on the fatigue factor with the shape of the tip end and I forgot to bring it to work today so I'll have to follow up on that. The only thing I can say is that they are on sale right now and grab a few of each type to try them out. I have a few Manhattan click pens lined up to turn as well to get an impression of those.

About half way through drilling I had a thought to do it as a closed end but realized that with that short length, you need the postable cap to make it long enough to write with. I may try a closed end version with a longer body and keep that kit cap.

Also they take a shorty style refill, so be prepared to offer refills to your customers since they are likely not available at the local office supply store.

Great looking pen. The wood,gold and black cap all go well together.
I personally really like the kit. The weight is good and th size is right when posted. Feels like quality also.
I have not sold one of the 4 I have for sale and the refills will be hard for people to find and expensive when they do

Carl Fisher

Well, after writing with it on an off through the day, I have one major complaint. The sharp lip where the writing tip transitions to the pen body. There is no easing of this edge so it's very uncomfortable as your finger moves around during writing. The only solution appears to be to hold the pen 100% from the body and not down at the tip.

Top Bottom