Question for DCBluesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaliforniaRed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaRed

This question was directed to DCBluesman simply because he created the pen in question, but other input is greatly appreciated.

As a new turner, I am still trying to learn from the much more experience turners than myself. At the link below you turned the "eagle-ized" ash and bloodwood pen. As I look at the picture, it appears the ash and bloodwood are slightly translucent. I have used BLO to pop the grain but I wouldn't think that would be a good idea on the ash. I assume the ash would not be so white if BLO was used. Did you use something or do something that created this effect or is it the finish? The combination of woods look incredible.

Thanks in advance for any advice and information.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9088

vick

Chris,
I have not seen Lou post for a little while. Since he does not have an e-mail address listed on the site I sent him an e-mail for you to draw his attention to your post incase he is not checking the board.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Chris--not all uses of boiled linseed oil (BLO) are the same. For this particular pen, I used it only in a lacquer-based friction polish which was used in place of a sanding sealer. By diluting the BLO, it barely gave a hint of warmth to the grain without changing the white of the ash. The additional depth was obtained with 6 coats of lacquer, followed by TSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom