pyramid end cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aggromere

aggromere

I have only done a few cigar pens with this type of end on them. I was at a cigar function last week and this is the cigar they were promoting. The distributor wanted a pen made like the cigar. Here it is, next to the cigar.

The pen is not complete, i am out of kits so I can't finish it until I receive the kits I ordered, so it is not tightly fit together. It will look better once the parts are in and it is screwed together, but I thought it came out nice.

The pen is on the left and the actual cigar I copied is on the right. I like the amboyna wood I am using, but if anyone knows of a wood that looked more like the actual cigar does, I would appreciate any feed back.

Attachments

• DSCN0916-crop.jpg
    DSCN0916-crop.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN0909-crop.jpg
    DSCN0909-crop.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN0910-crop.jpg
    DSCN0910-crop.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Halfcaff

Again....great work Peter! I like the amboyna that you are using. I can't find any that dark. All I can ever get is lighter with a ton of swirls and eyes. The claro walnut is nice for cigars but usually comes out a tad too dark. Mahogany seems lime it would be a good match but I haven't tried it.

jskeen

Dude!! That is outstanding! You nailed it all the way. I can't think of another wood that would be any better off hand either. The only thing that is missing is the subtle texture of the maduro wrapper, and I can't for the life of me think how you could reproduce that short of just casting one.

I want to see it once the kit is installed, open and closed and with the complete blow by blow of how you designed it, prototyped it and then produced it. Of course, Like the song says, you can't always get what you want. :)

cnccutter

great idea

I think the texture could be gotten by using a bead bead blaster and a random mask. might take a bit of playing, buy doable.

great job
Erik

Dude!! That is outstanding! You nailed it all the way. I can't think of another wood that would be any better off hand either. The only thing that is missing is the subtle texture of the maduro wrapper, and I can't for the life of me think how you could reproduce that short of just casting one.

I want to see it once the kit is installed, open and closed and with the complete blow by blow of how you designed it, prototyped it and then produced it. Of course, Like the song says, you can't always get what you want. :)

mrburls

Excellent job Peter. :good::good: Looks so close to the real thing. This is something I've wanted to try for a long time but just never found that time. Makes me want to give it a try.

Keith "mrburls"

fernhills

Very nice indeed. I gave some thought as to how the texture can be worked into the design. Just a thought now. How about when you turn it close to final profile you C/A wood shavings to the blank, like shaving from a hand plane to resemble tobacco leaves. Just thought. Carl

arioux

Great job. For your info, this type of cigar is usually called "Torpedo". Here is a list of the cigar type and name with specs. For those who want to make other type of cigar.

Name Length and Ring Gauge (lenght is in inches, ring gauge is in 64ths of an inche)
Corona 5 ½ to 6 - 42 to 45
Panatela 5 ½ to 6 ½ - 34 to 38
Lonsdale 6 to 6 ½ - 42 to 44
Churchill 6 ½ to 7 - 46 to 48
Robusto 4 ½ to 5 - 48 to 50
Toro 6 to 6 ½ - 48 to 50
Presidente 7 to 8 ½ - 52 to 60
Torpedo(Cone Shaped Head) 5 ½ to 6 ½ - 46 to 52

These are the most common size and made most of the factories. Some factories may use different name but these are the industry standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom