PVC Prototype - Critiques Welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from C_Ludwigsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Ludwigsen

I don't know that I would call this "outside the box", but for me, it certainly means the box lid is open.

This is a prototype of a UT Vols pen for a friend of SWMBO. I made it to practice working with PVC material laminations and segmentations as well as trying to see what I can do beyond wood.

Your thoughts, questions, and critique are welcome. I have things I like and dislike about it, so I don't particularly need the flame-retardent suit for this one.

THE PHOTOGRAPHY SUCKS, I KNOW. That is not the subject of this posting. My already-cheap digital camera bit the dust and this was taken from a not-much-better digital video camera. Everything comes out kind of grainy with it.

Thanks for taking a look.
P503.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

I like it! I would be proud to have it sitting in my pocket! Try it with a chrome kit next time and see if that makes any difference. The laminations look nice and tight. What did you use to glue them together?

Scott.

Thumbs

The "busy" top works so well with the plain bottom. It looks like modern art to me! Good modern art! Of course, I've recently offered some others here an example of how bad my eyes and perceptions are so take my praise for what it's worth![:p]

C_Ludwigsen

Thanks everyone. Scott, I used medium CA to glue up. I had to hold it for a few seconds tight then hit it with CA. The wedges for the checkerboard are about as small (in width) as my hands could hold to cut on the scrollsaw. But I could have reduced the thickness (height) of each ring on the disk sander before laminating the next ring. I would like to get the checkerboard in 8 segments. I'll keep dreaming.

Justin_F

Good job! I love the irregular nature of the laminations. Also didnt think the photography was a problem. A pen turner is not necessarily a professional photographer! (I struggle with this myself!) Can you enlighten a humble Aussie as to your technique? jus.

C_Ludwigsen

Thanks guys,

Justin, the checkerboard pieces were cut on a scroll saw. I cut off a disk of white and one of orange, then cut the disks like a pizza into quarters. Sanded, switched, and glued the segments back into a disk and sanded one side flat. Then glued that back to the main blank, sanded the face of the first disk flat and square and glued on the second disk.

By cutting them in pie shaped pieces, the vertical seams remain aligned as I turned the pen to shape. That is, if the seems aligned from the beginning. I had one that did not.

Hope that helps. I'll have to fashion some type of jig if I am going to cut the wedges into 8ths.

atvrules1

Nice job Chuck. Being firmly entrenched in the box, my only forays out are when I look at pics like this. It looks good, and the diagonal line really emphasises the checks. Keep with this line of thought for a little longer and let us see what else you come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom